The WWE suspended cruiserweight champion Enzo Amore on Monday after a woman accused him of sexual assault.
A woman said on Twitter on Monday that she had been raped by Amore in October in Phoenix. While describing the incident, she said she had filed a report with the Phoenix police department, which has been confirmed by ProWrestlingSheet.com.
In response, WWE released this statement:
"WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving sexual harassment or sexual assault. Until this matter is resolved, Eric Arndt (aka Enzo Amore) has been suspended."
WWE instituted a policy regarding sexual assault in 2014. In it, it's outlined that any talent would be suspended immediately after an arrest, and that WWE can suspend for any evidence found. Here's what the section of the WWE Wellness Policy says about sexual assault:
“WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving domestic violence, child abuse and sexual assault. Upon arrest for such misconduct, a WWE talent will be immediately suspended. Upon conviction for such misconduct, a WWE talent will be immediately terminated. WWE’s ability to fine, suspend or terminate a WWE talent will not be, however, limited or compromised in any manner in the event incontrovertible evidence of such illegal misconduct is presented to WWE. Section 9.13(a) of the WWE booking contract, commonly known as the ‘morals clause,’ provides WWE with broad discretion and authority to act under such circumstances.”
Amore was scheduled to defend his title against Cedric Alexander at the Royal Rumble this coming Sunday.
Questions? Thoughts? Leave them in the comment section here, email me, or find me on Twitter: @TheAOster. You can also hear my podcast, Jobbing Out, at https://soundcloud.com/jobbingout