Men's roundup: No. 4 Irish top No. 9 Penn State, 10-9, in OT

A goal from freshman attackman Matt Kavanagh with 1:34 left in the first overtime period gave the No. 4 Notre Dame men's lacrosse team a 10-9 win over host No. 9 Penn State on Sunday afternoon.

A late flurry from both teams sent the game — which had been moved inside Holuba Hall because of frigid weather — into the extra session. Notre Dame tied the contest at 8 with 24 seconds left on a goal by Conor Doyle (Gilman), which was his career-high third of the day. Ryan Foley assisted on the score. The Irish took a 9-8 lead with just 18 seconds remaining when junior Liam O'Connor won the faceoff and scored his second goal of the game. A tally from Penn State's Tom LaCrosse with one second left knotted the contest at nine.


The game featured seven ties and four lead changes.

"In a game that had two evenly matched teams, I was just glad we were the one to make the play at the end," Notre Dame head coach Kevin Corrigan said. "We weren't going to quit out there. We had a lot of experienced guys on the field and we made plays when we needed to. We had good contributions from a lot of different guys today."


Consecutive goals from Doyle, a sophomore attackman, put Notre Dame (2-0) up 2-0 by the 8:10 mark of the first quarter. Penn State responded with three unanswered scores, including two from Jack Forster, to take a 3-2 lead midway through the second quarter.

Notre Dame attackman Westy Hopkins evened the game (3-3) with 58 seconds remaining in the opening half and the contest was knotted at the intermission.

Midfielder Jim Marlatt (River Hill) put the Irish up 4-3 early in the third quarter when he scored off a pass from Doyle. Goals from LaCrosse and Forster gave Penn State (2-1) a 5-4 advantage with just over five minutes left in the third quarter. Forster and LaCrosse both had three goals in the game.

With just over two minutes left in the third period, Notre Dame midfielder Steve Murphy took a pass from Hopkins and scored to even the game once again (5-5). A Nittany Lion goal from Kyle Zittel gave the hosts a 6-5 advantage after three quarters of play.

Penn State grabbed its largest lead of the game (7-5) on a man-up goal from Kyle VanThof 41 seconds into the final quarter. The Irish responded as midfielder Tyler Kimball sliced the deficit to one (7-6) and O'Connor won the ensuing faceoff and scored to make it 7-7 with 9:28 left in the fourth quarter. The two goals were a career-high for O'Connor.

LaCrosse put the Nittany Lions back up (8-7) with 6:24 left in the fourth quarter.

Senior goalie John Kemp made 10 saves for the Fighting Irish, while his counterpart Austin Kaut also had 10 stops.

No. 2 Cornell 19, Hobart 11: Senior Rob Pannell had four goals and five assists in his return after missing the final 11 games of 2012 with a broken foot, and the Big Red (1-0) scored 12 second-half goals to pull away from the Statesmen (1-1).


Pannell, the 2011 national Player of the Year, moved into second place on the school's career scoring list (261), surpassing Eamon McEneaney, who had 256. He also joined McEneaney as the second player in school history to surpass 150 career assists, as his five helpers gave him 154. The nine points were one off a career single-game best.

Air Force 15, No. 7 Lehigh 10: The Mountain Hawks (2-2) wrapped up a tough trip to Colorado with their second straight loss in the Pioneer Face-Off Classic. The game was delayed and moved from the University of Denver to Air Force's indoor facility because of a snowstorm.

Tommy McKee had a team-high four goals for the Falcons (4-1). Sophomore Dan Taylor led the way with a career-high five points for Lehigh, while seniors Dante Fantoni and David DiMaria posted four points apiece.

No. 11 Denver 11, Canisius 4: The Pioneers (3-1) held the Golden Griffins (0-2) scoreless for 39 straight minutes in the closing game of the Pioneer Face-Off Classic at Air Force's Holaday Athletic Center.

Sophomore Wes Berg recorded three goals and two assists for Denver, while freshman Gordie Koerber (Gilman) added three goals a day after scoring four in a win over Lehigh.

No. 16 Syracuse 6, Army 2: The host Orange (1-1) rebounded from last weekend's season-opening loss to Albany by holding the Black Knights (2-2) scoreless for 21:45 to start the game and shutting them out in the second half.


Army's two goals were tied for the fewest ever by an opposing team in the Carrier Dome. Sophomore Bobby Wardwell made 11 saves, setting a record for the fewest goals allowed by a Syracuse goalie who played the entire game.

Army leading scorer Garrett Thul was held without a point, ending the attackman's 42-game goal scoring streak, which had been the longest in the nation. Before Sunday, the last time Thul did not score a goal was March 30, 2010, against Hofstra.


Towson 9, Mercer 8, OT: Junior Thomas DeNapoli scored his fourth goal of the game with 1:04 left in overtime to lead the host Tigers (1-3) over the Bears (1-2).

Mercer went on a five-goal run over the end of the third quarter and the start of the fourth to take an 8-5 lead with 9:22 left in the game. Towson scored the final four goals, including DeNapoli's winner.

Chris Baxa (Northern) led the Bears with four goals.

Senior Andrew Wascavage (St. Mary's Ryken) made seven saves for Towson.