Tabasso caps Greyhounds rally in 'Battle of Charles Street'

Women's lacrosse

The No. 15 Johns Hopkins and No. 20 Loyola Maryland women's lacrosse teams added another thrilling chapter to their storied "Battle of Charles Street" rivalry on Wednesday night.

A man-down goal by Sabrina Tabasso with 56.6 seconds left in the second overtime gave the visiting Greyhounds an 8-7 victory in a game that featured a lightning delay of 2 hours, 5 minutes and a combined 70 fouls, including eight yellow cards. Loyola picked up its first win after losing two road games against top-10 teams to open the season.


"We had a little bit of everything tonight," Loyola coach Jen Adams said. "I think we learned a lot from those losses. I think the girls have had a really great perspective on it. I feel good about how the season has gone so far, even with the losses."

Haley Schweizer finished with three goals for Johns Hopkins (3-1).

Johns Hopkins was leading 5-4 with 28:24 left in the second half when the game was halted by the storm. After play resumed, the Blue Jays extended the lead on a man-advantage, free-position goal by Dene' DiMartino.

Johns Hopkins' offense continued to click, and Schweizer completed her hat trick with 18:57 left, extending the lead to 7-4.

Loyola, though, stormed back. Frankie Kamely pulled the Greyhounds to within two with her sixth goal of the year. Loyola carried that momentum forward as Tabasso cut the margin to 7-6 with 8:17 remaining, forcing Johns Hopkins to call a timeout. Nonetheless, the Greyhounds stayed in control and tied the game 57 seconds later on a goal by Hannah Powers.

Both teams got key turnovers in the final two minutes but neither team could score. Loyola goalkeeper Molly Wolf (Bryn Mawr) had a huge save on a shot by Emily Kenul in the final seconds to send the game into overtime. After neither team could score in the first extra period, Tabasso's second goal ended the marathon.

"It was a relief, honestly," Tabasso said. "It was fantastic. We are right down the street from each other, and we expect it to be a tough game every time. But double overtime definitely was not what we were expecting, but we held on."

Loyola opened with high pressure and took a 1-0 lead on a goal by junior Cami Whiteford (Severna Park) just under six minutes into the game. The Blue Jays quickly regrouped and tied the game on a long-distance shot from Schweizer.

Johns Hopkins was effective attacking, but Wolf came up with three saves in the opening 10 minutes to keep the game close. That helped the Greyhounds take a 3-1 lead as Maddy Blakeman scored twice in a span of 55 seconds.

The Blue Jays charged back with three goals in 57 seconds by Jenna Reifler (Roland Park), Schweizer and Miranda Ibello (Maryvale). A goal by Emily Kenul provided a 5-3 lead with 7:40 remaining in the half.

Whiteford's second goal in the final minute ended a 16:47 scoring drought and the Greyhounds trailed 5-4 at the break.

"It was typical of the rivalry and we knew it was going to be a great game," Johns Hopkins coach Janine Tucker said. "It was just an awesome game to watch. They are well-coached and very athletic. I thought we fought to the bitter end but just came up a little bit short."

Recommended on Baltimore Sun