State: Cormier, Etherly hit 1,000 as Loyola men top Fairfield

Thank you for supporting our journalism. This article is available exclusively for our subscribers, who help fund our work at The Baltimore Sun.

Dylon Cormier and Erik Etherly scored their 1,000th career points within eight minutes of each other as visiting Loyola won for the fifth time in six games, beating Fairfield, 65-60, on Monday in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference men's basketball game in Bridgeport, Conn.

Cormier (Cardinal Gibbons) finished with a team-high 21 points, Etherly added 16 points and a team-high nine rebounds, and Jordan Latham scored 10 points for the Greyhounds (14-6, 6-2 MAAC).


"We battled and held them off tonight with big baskets when we needed them," Loyola coach Jimmy Patsos said. "MAAC road wins are hard to come by, and this was a great one to close out."

Derek Needham had a game-high 23 points for the Stags (10-10, 2-6).


He was coming off a 26-point performance in Friday's loss at Iona. Fairfield's Amadou Sibide contributed 12 points and 11 rebounds.

The Greyhounds hit an impressive 50 percent of their shots from the field (19 of 38) while limiting the Stags to 42.2percent shooting (19-for-45).

Georgia State 71, Towson 69: R.J. Hunter had 18 of his 27 points in the second half and teammate Devonta White added 14 as the visiting Panthers held on to beat the Tigers.

Towson (10-10, 5-2 CAA) was led by Jerrelle Benimon, who had 18 points and 10 rebounds. Jerome Hairston added 16 points and Mike Burwell had 15 for the Tigers, who had won five of their previous six games.

Georgia State (9-11, 4-3) took a 68-64 lead on a 3-pointer by Hunter with 2:41 left in the game.

Bilal Dixon of Towson made a basket with 2:11 to go to trim the lead to 68-66, but on the Tigers' next possession, Burwell missed a 3-pointer that would have given Towson the lead.

Hunter hit a 3-pointer with 1:07 left to make it 71-67, and a field goal by Hairston cut the deficit to 71-69 with 46 seconds to go.

Benimon now has 14 doubledoubles, the most in Division I. He entered the game with doubledoubles in the previous five games, the first Towson player to do that since 1977.


Towson was seeking its best start to a season since 1995-96.

Coppin State 67, Hampton 65, OT: Patrick Cole scored a career-high 29 points, including two free throws with 1.2 seconds remaining in overtime, leading the visiting Eagles (5-15, 2-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) to victory.

Cole scored seven of the nine points in the overtime period.

The Pirates (5-12, 2-2), who which forced overtime with a pair of free throws with 12 seconds remaining, took an early lead in overtime on a 3-pointer by Ramon Mercado.

Andre Armstrong finished with 16 points and Michael Murray had 12 rebounds for Coppin.

Norfolk State 73, Morgan State 71: The visiting Bears rallied from a 14-point deficit in the second half to take the lead, but their season-high 29 turnovers proved too much to overcome.


Pendarvis Williams scored 15 of his game-high 20 points in the second half for the Spartans (11-10, 6-0 MEAC).

Norfolk State's 7-foot center, Brandon Goode, finished with 18 points and three blocks.

Justin Black led the Bears (5-10, 2-2) with 16 points, while Anthony Hubbard collected 12 points and 12 rebounds. DeWayne Jackson chipped in 11 points.


Central Connecticut State 77, Mount St. Mary's 73, OT: For the second straight game, the Mount attempted to rally from a double-digit deficit and win the game in overtime, but the Blue Devils (10-7, 4-2 Northeast Conference) had other ideas.

Sydney Henderson paced the Mountaineers (8-9, 4-2with 18 points, six rebounds and four steals. Selina Mann added 15 points, seven rebounds, six assists and five steals. Rachel Mathews scored a career-high 13 points, and Jacqueline Brewer chipped in 11 points in the loss.


Mount St. Mary's rallied from a 12-point second-half deficit to take a 63-61 lead on a layup by Brewer with 58 seconds left, but Jessica Babe hit a jumper with 34 seconds on the clock to even the score and each team had a shot in the final eight seconds, but could not convert, sending the game to overtime.

After Henderson gave the Mount a 68-66 lead on a layup at the 3:52 mark, the Blue Devils scored the next eight points to take the lead for good.

Hampton 58, Coppin State 50: Larrisa Carter scored 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, but Olivia Allen scored 22 points and the host Pirates (14-5, 5-0 MEAC) ended the Eagles' three-game winning streak.

Kyra Coleman finished with eight points and six rebounds for the Eagles (7-12, 3-3), while Leola Spotwood added six points and six rebounds.

Salisbury 63, Stevenson 60: Senior Katie McGahagan recorded her second consecutive doubledouble as the host Sea Gulls (10-7) held on to defeat the Mustangs (5-10) in a nonconference game.

A 3-pointer by Stephanie Martinez pulled the Mustangs within 61-60 in the closing seconds, but two free throws by McGahagan sealed the game. McGahagan totaled 14 points, 10 rebounds and four assists on the night.