Gervonta Davis to compete in co-main event of Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor megafight

Undefeated Baltimore boxer Gervonta Davis will compete in the co-main event of the Aug. 26 Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor megafight in Las Vegas.

The reigning International Boxing Federation super-featherweight champion, Davis (18-0, 17 knockouts) will be fighting in the highest-profile bout of his career. His opponent has not been determined.

"It feels great,” Davis told TMZ Sports in an on-camera interview on a street in New York. “Just having my hometown back me, Under Armour back me, Floyd Mayweather back me, No. 1 undercard, it feels amazing.”

The match between the undefeated Mayweather, who retired in September 2015 as the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer, and Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight champion Conor McGregor is expected to challenge pay-per-view records set by Mayweather’s May 2015 fight with Manny Pacquiao.

That Davis would be involved in Mayweather’s next fight has been an open secret since before the showdown was finalized June 14. Fighting under the Mayweather Promotions banner since 2015, the Sandtown-Winchester native has emerged as one of the sport’s top rising stars, dubbed “the future of boxing” by no less an authority than Mayweather.

After Davis’ first title defense, a third-round technical knockout of previously unbeaten Liam Walsh in London last month, Mayweather said he “would love” to have Davis on the undercard of a fight with McGregor.

"I’m proud of ‘Tank,’ ” Mayweather said of Davis then. “I want him to keep up the good work and keep working hard, and he’ll be back in the ring in a few months. We just want to take one fight at a time. There’s no rush.”

Las Vegas is familiar territory for Davis. He fought there twice in 2015, trained with the Sin City-based Mayweather before his last fight and told TMZ Sports that he has worked there with Mayweather lately, alternating sparring sessions and working the heavy bag together.

Their gym partnership was an important clue that Mayweather wasn’t done fighting. Rumors about a potential Mayweather-McGregor bout had swirled since May 2016, and Davis said this May, before the announcement, that Mayweather had been “more hands-on than usual” in his training for Walsh, working together with his protégé in late-night gym sessions.

Twitter: @jonas_shaffer

Email: jshaffer@baltsun.com

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
48°