xml:space="preserve">

Brittany Marquess, one of five UMBC women's lacrosse players suspended two weeks ago, returned to the team Wednesday.

UMBC athletics spokesman Steve Levy released the following statement Wednesday: "After a careful review of the situation and with the well-being of all students involved as the primary concern, the university has determined that one of the five previously suspended players, Brittany Marquess, will remain on the team roster."

Advertisement

The junior midfielder's name was included with four other players suspended after university officials learned of threats of bodily harm made by older players against freshmen in a GroupMe text messaging chat.

Brittany's mother, Harriet Marquess, told The Baltimore Sun last week that her daughter was not involved in the text messaging threats and that Brittany's suspension was related to a separate incident, which had been resolved between the two players.

Levy would not confirm that Marquess's suspension resulted from a separate incident but referred to comments made by Nancy Young, UMBC vice president for student affairs, last week about the investigation process.

"There are steps you want to follow, but those steps may vary based on the situation," Young said. "We literally custom fit this to every case. Because there is no one size fits all, we make sure every individual is getting what they need."

The names of all five suspended players remained on the roster through Saturday's America East Conference opener, a 13-12 overtime win over Binghamton at UMBC Stadium. Marquess (Broadneck) remains on the roster, but the other four suspended players -- Alyssa Semones, Mackenzie Reese, Meghan Milani and Amber Kovalick -- were no longer on the roster posted on the UMBC women's lacrosse website Wednesday.

Levy said officials had no further comment on the investigation process.

Semones, Kovalick, Milani and Reese apologized last week for the messages on the group chat in a joint statement released through a media relations firm. They said their comments on the group chat were "utterly inappropriate" and "absolutely inexcusable."

In the wake of the investigation, co-coach Tony Giro was placed on leave. Amy Slade was named the sole coach.

Baltimore Sun reporter Colin Campbell contributed to this article.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement