Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Jeremy Guthrie allowed six runs Tuesday night and the Orioles couldn't dig out of that early hole in a 9-3 loss to the Pirates. ... Second baseman Brian Roberts was not cleared to begin baseball activities during his third appointment with a concussion specialist, a development that pushes back his return until after the All-Star break. ... Orioles pitching prospect Dan Klein has been diagnosed with a shoulder injury that won't require surgery but could end his season. ... Ravens safety Ed Reed still isn't "100 percent" healthy. ... The next time NFL owners meet over labor, there is hope it will be to ratify a new collective bargaining agreement.
Hitting the links:
1. Zach Britton is the lone hope of the Orioles [Grantland]
2. Peter Schmuck: Like it or not, interleague play is good for baseball [Baltimore Sun]
3. The Pirates probably wish they had Matt Wieters instead of the alternative [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
4. Making bats for the Orioles [Camden Depot]
5. Despite allowing six runs, Jeremy Guthrie said he felt fine against the Pirates [Orioles Insider]
6. Derrick Mason thinks Joe Flacco will win a Super Bowl before Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan [Ravens.com]
7. Las Vegas forecasts the Ravens season [CSN Baltimore]
8. Tiki Barber to the Steelers? [New York Post]
9. Chad Ochocinco plays patty cake [Black Sports Online]
10. Former Terps big man Jordan Williams hopes his physical transformation will pay off on draft day [Tribune]
11. Larry Brown talks about his role in Mark Turgeon getting the Maryland job [D.C. Sports Bog]
12. Before he played sax for Bruce Springsteen, Clarence Clemons was a football star at Maryland State College [The Daily]
13. Another story on Clemons, who died Saturday [Delmarva Now]
You said it:
"I think we're all missing the bigger picture here. If you get Haloti Ngata, Nnamdi Asomugha AND Osi Umenyiora you corner the market on crazy awesome names. And THAT's what wins Superbowls!" -- longtime reader Chris_in_Hawaii wants to give Ravens jerseymakers fits with both Ngata and Asomugha
Video of the morning:
Kevin Durant had a nice dunk in a pickup game [via Big Lead]
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I'll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.