Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with some reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Maryland suffered another crushing loss on Tuesday night, but after falling short against Virginia Tech, coach Gary Williams said, "I'll take that effort every night from our team." ... The Ravens placed the franchise tag on Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata. ... Former Miami coach Randy Shannon turned down the Maryland defensive coordinator job. ... Longtime Orioles umpires' attendant Ernie Tyler was laid to rest. ... Russia's Irina Shayk got the Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover.
Hitting the links:
1. John Eisenberg has five questions for the Orioles [CSN Baltimore]
2. Jim Johnson and Jason Berken are fine with relief roles [Baltimore Sun]
3. Here's a long Q&A with Buck Showalter [WBAL]
4. Buck has options in the bullpen [Orioles Insider]
5. How much does the AL East hurt the Orioles? [Camden Crazies]
6. Vlad Guerrero is in the house [Orioles Insider]
7. Koji Uehara is ready to take on Kevin Gregg [Mainichi Daily News]
8. Mike Preston: Domonique Foxworth's knee progressing is well [Baltimore Sun]
9. John Harbaugh wants the Ravens offense to reflect his "vision" [Ravens Insider]
10. The good, bad and ugly from the Terps' loss to the Hokies [Baltimore Sports and Life]
11. What's the Terps' next move after they were spurned by Randy Shannon? [Testudo Times]
12. Taking a wrecking ball to the Capitals' country club [On Frozen Blog]
13. Mike Knuble can't live without beer [D.C. Sports Bog]
You said it:
"Total bust. If he's not productive at the plate (batting at least .275 and on pace to hit 20HR and 80 RBI) and constantly leaving bases loaded or men in scoring position as he did last season, bench him and trade him for a quality pitching prospect. Loser." -- reader dc1020008 has given up on Orioles catcher Matt Wieters, whom Baseball Prospectus thinks will be the Orioles' biggest disappointment in 2011
You tell me:
What do the Terps have to do from here on out to sneak into the NCAA tournament?
Video of the morning:
Man makes amazing hockey shot (then gets screwed over by evil insurance company)
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, leads, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I'll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.