I'd say it can't get much worse than today -- the first day after a long July 4 weekend -- but that's insulting to Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. This is going to be such a tough day though, so don't be surprised if it takes an extra shot of caffeine to make it. Slug it down with the Coffee Companion, where we recap the previous day's sports headlines.
- The Orioles blew a lead early Sunday, but they came back for a 7-6 win to take two out of three games from the flailing Boston Red Sox.
- Kevin Gausman pitched well again, but he'll probably be sent down so a couple stiffs can start in his place next week because none of you can have nice things.
- In slightly better news, Bud Norris likely will be back this week after dealing with a groin issue.
- Buck Showalter fired a shot at the Red Sox on Sunday in response to Boston pitcher John Lackey's allusions about Nelson Cruz's steroid suspension last year. Both are kind of right.
- Cruz, Adam Jones, and Matt Wieters were voted starters in the All-Star Game next week in Minnesota.
- Maryland football has seen a new dawn in recruiting now that the school is in the Big Ten.