There's something special about weekend when you can get things done around the house and still enjoy yourself. This was one of those for me, but I'm still pretty beat. If you are as well, take a break from work with the Coffee Companion, where we recap the previous day's local sports headline.
- The obsession with Johan Santana continued Sunday, with news that the Orioles were trying to keep the same plan they announced last week for the injured lefty. Santana can opt out of his contract after tomorrow at midnight. The pitchers actually on the team will pitch in a different order coming out of today's day off.
- Manager Buck Showalter won't assign a timetable for Matt Wieters' return from his elbow injury.
- In on-field news, Jeff Zrebiec has his news, notes and opinions from the first week of OTAs.
- Maryland baseball swept through the Columbia regional of the NCAA baseball tournament this weekend, and will face ACC rival Virginia this weekend in the NCAA Super Regional in Charlottesvile. The winner of that best-of-three set will go to Omaha for the College World Series.
- The U.S. won its second World Cup warmup, 2-1, over Turkey. Fabian Johnson and Clint Dempsey were in the goals for the Americans.
Kings to face the King
- Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers learned their Stanley Cup final opponent Sunday night when an overtime winner put the Kings over the Blackhawks, 5-4. The final begins Wednesday night.