Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has not weighed in on President Donald Trump’s plan to give more money to unemployed workers, a plan that relies on financially-strapped state governments to help pay for it.
“We are currently reviewing the legal ramifications of the order, as well as its potential impact on the state budget,” Hogan spokeswoman Shareese Churchill said in a statement Monday.
For several months, unemployed workers had received an extra $600 per week, on top of typical unemployment benefits. The extra $600 was funded by the federal government under the CARES Act.
That extra benefit expired in late July and Congress did not agree on any plan to extend the extra money before leaving Washington for a summer recess.
Over the weekend, Trump issued multiple directives, including one that would give individuals on unemployment an additional $400 per week. He said the payments would be funded 75% by the federal government and 25% by state governments.
Without any additional payments, the maximum unemployment benefit in Maryland is currently $430 per week.
Hogan previously has been vocal about the need for the federal government to send more financial aid to state governments. States are seeing a drop in income tax and sales tax collections during the coronavirus pandemic, as people are out of work and spending less money.