Gov. Larry Hogan on Wednesday officially lifted the state of emergency he put on Baltimore 10 days ago.
Speaking from the city building where he moved state government last week, Hogan said, "tensions still remain high. It's calmed down, but it's still right beneath the surface."
Hogan pledged to help the city rebuild and said he would immediately withdraw $20 million to pay for response, but the economic cost of the unrest hasn't been tallied.
He committed to helping bring more jobs and a better economy to the city, but cautioned a lot of the "social ills" behind the unrest would not be solved immediately.
"We have to be honest with ourselves," Hogan said. "These problems have taken decades to grow and will take decades to repair."
Hogan began drawing down the National Guard on Sunday after Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake lifted the curfew that had shuttered the city at 10 p.m. for a week.
The governor moved himself and top aides back to Annapolis Monday for the first time in more than a week after riots followed the funeral for Freddie Gray, a West Baltimore man who died in police custody on April 19.
He said the same city leaders who "moved the city from chaos to peace" will lead the effort to repair the Baltimore. He said the state would be a partner in that effort.
Of the U.S. Department of Justice's decision to accept Rawlings-Blake's request to investigate a pattern of abuse in the police department Hogan said, "That's probably a step in the right direction."
Hogan planned to tour Lexington Market after his announcement Wednesday. While the city has begun to return to normal, the governor canceled a political event for Saturday saying he needed to focus on rebuilding the city.