The Baltimore Sun has been a fixture at 501 N. Calvert Street for the last 68 years. Founded in 1837 by A.S. Abell, The Baltimore Sun was one of several newspapers in the city at the time. The paper was first printed in a small building on Light Street where 15,000 copies were printed and delivered after the first press run.
The building along with much of downtown would later be destroyed in the Great Fire of 1904. A new building was constructed at the corner of Baltimore and Charles Street and the paper would call that home until it moved to the Calvert Street location in 1950. After 68 years on Calvert Street, The Baltimore Sun Media Group newsroom and employees will be moving to Sun Park in Port Covington where the paper is currently printed.