Philadelphia police say body of Roswell Friend, 22, found in New Jersey

A Philadelphia police spokeswoman told the Towson Times on Monday, Aug. 22, that a body found in New Jersey that morning was believed to be that of Cockeysville resident and recent Temple University graduate Roswell Friend.

A New Jersey State Police spokesman confirmed that police had found an unidentified male body just off the shore of the Delaware River near Bank Avenue in Riverton Township, New Jersey, at 10 a.m.

As of Tuesday morning, Aug. 23, New Jersey police had not confirmed that the body was that of Friend.

However, Tonya Little, spokeswoman for the Philadelphia police, said that Friend's father had identified the body. And The Baltimore Sun reported that a family friend, Unabyrd Wadhams, said Friend's mother was in Philadelphia and called Wadhams on Monday to convey the news of her son's death.

Wadhams said the mother did not know a cause of death and said the police investigation was continuing.

Friend, 22, who had been missing since leaving his North Philadelphia home for a run on Aug. 18. Security cameras at Temple University and a nearby pharmacy caught him running near the school's campus early in his run, according to The Sun.

Police found Friend's car keys, wallet and cell phone in his house. Only his house keys were gone.

According to The Sun report, Friend wrote "Sorry guys" on a white board in his house, and posted "I'm sorry everyone" on his Facebook page shortly before he left for the run.

Friend ran track at Dulaney and was a member of the Temple Track and Field team.

At Dulaney, he had joined the cross country team as a sophomore in 2004, and was on the team for three seasons, as well as the school's indoor and outdoor track teams.

He was 17th in the Baltimore County cross country championships in 2006, when Dulaney was second to Towson. He finished fourth in the Baltimore County outdoor championships his senior year, 2007. The following week he was on Dulaney's regional championship team.

"He was a big part of that team," said Chad Boyle, Friend's track coach for three years at Dulaney.

Boyle on Monday described Friend as an "awesome" athlete with a "vibrant personality."

"He was very likable and very energetic," Boyle said. "He was a very dedicated individual."

Early Monday, police, friends and relatives had maintained a search for Friend. Wadhams told The Baltimore Sun that people had been organizing as late as 1 p.m. Monday to put up more fliers and continue the search.

"He was just a wonderful, wonderful human being," said Wadhams, who said her son went to high school with Friend.

"He always had a smile on his face and was the type of person to make friends very easily," she told The Baltimore Sun. "He had just finished his undergraduate studies and had everything ahead of him."

Wadhams said Friend majored in broadcasting and media at Temple, and was interviewing for a job at the cable TV company Comcast in Philadelphia.

Towson Times sports reporter Craig Clary and Sun reporter Jay Hancock contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad