Angry over 'Avengers,' man allegedly pulls fire alarm at Abingdon cinema

The Regal Cinimas in Abingdon where a man allegedly pulled the fire alarm Monday night after a dispute with management over the showing of "The Avengers."

Fire marshals and Harford County Sheriff's Office deputies were called to the Regal Cinemas in Abingdon Monday night after a customer became belligerent over the showing of "The Avengers" film and allegedly pulled a fire alarm inside the theater, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office.

According to a notice of investigation from the fire marshal's office, the alarm was sounded at 6:45 p.m., and theater management notified police what had transpired. The theater is in the 400 block of Constant Friendship Boulevard.


According to Maryland electronic court records, David K. Walters, 34, of Royal Oaks Drive in Bel Air, was issued a criminal summons for false alarm/fire and has a trial scheduled for June 19 in Harford County District Court.

"Walters became disruptive and argued with the theater manager after discovering 'The Avengers' movie he was watching was a 'closed caption' film," the notice of investigation states. "Management offered a refund or future tickets, which he refused and returned to the theater."


"Once the movie ended, Walters became belligerent and argumentative with management once again and at that point Walters intentionally pulled the fire alarm in the lobby and left the premises," according to the notice of investigation.

Management at Regal in Abingdon declined to comment on the incident Tuesday morning and referred all inquiries to the company's corporate headquarters, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Monica Worrell, spokesperson for the sheriff's office, said deputies went to the theater to assist the fire marshal; however, the criminal summons was issued by the fire marshal.

According to a later news release from the fire marshal's office, Walters was served a criminal summons Tuesday at the Northeast Regional Office of the State Fire Marshal in Bel Air for allegedly causing the false alarm. The penalty for a conviction, according to the release, is up to five years imprisonment and/or up to $5,000 in fines.

Check back with for updates.