Trial for 17-year-old boy accused of rape moved to juvenile court

Charges against a 17-year-old Abingdon boy accused of rape, who had been charged as an adult, were taken back to juvenile court after a hearing Monday morning in Harford County Circuit Court.

A criminal jury trial was scheduled to start last week for Kyle Burnett Reddish, of the 200 block of Kensington Parkway, but that proceeding was postponed after his lawyer requested the reverse waiver hearing, which was held Monday.

The reverse waiver hearing in front of retired Harford Circuit Judge Maurice Baldwin Jr. was closed to the public because Reddish has pending juvenile charges related to the same incident.

Following the hearing, Reddish's lawyer, Christopher Flohr, told reporters that the reverse waiver had been granted and the rape case has been moved back to the juvenile court.

The assistant state's attorney who handled the hearing was not immediately available for comment, but Harford State's Attorney Joseph Cassilly later confirmed the case has been waived to juvenile court, meaning any future proceedings and records will not be open to the public.

Reddish had been charged with unnatural or perverted practice, second-degree assault, fourth-degree sex offense, third-degree sex offense, two counts of second-degree rape and two counts of second-degree sex offense in connection with an incident that allegedly occurred on Sept. 17 of last year.

On Sept. 18, Harford County sheriff's deputies were notified of a 14-year-old girl transferred from Upper Chesapeake Medical Center to Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson with genital trauma and bruising, according to charging documents.

The girl told police then she had been drinking the night before when Reddish entered the room and allegedly raped her, according to the documents. The girl added that the excessive amount of alcohol she drank left her unable to defend herself, according to charging documents

At the time, her sister told police she saw Reddish allegedly having sex with the girl and their father also said he came home and found Reddish allegedly naked in her room, according to charging documents.

Reddish, who was 16 at the time, was charged as a adult following his arrest last Sept. 21, according to online court records. He was released from jail the next day after a $50,000 bond was posted.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad