A carjacking and attempted kidnapping of a grandmother and her grandchildren in Baltimore County was foiled over the weekend when OnStar disabled the vehicle on I-95 near the Route 24 exit in Abingdon, Maryland State Police said.

On Saturday, Maryland State Police troopers responded to northbound I-95 for a report of an accident, but they instead found a woman and three of her grandchildren, according to a state police news release.


Ardella Eaddy, 68, of Baltimore, told police one of her grandchildren, 22-year-old Darius T. Johnson, also of Baltimore, allegedly abducted her and her other three grandchildren, ages 4, 8 and 12, according to the release.

Eaddy was on the side of I-95 in her Buick Lacrosse when police responded, and Johnson had already left the scene.

She told troopers she agreed to take Johnson to a location in Nottingham, Baltimore County, to pick up some of his belongings and when they came out to her car, Johnson told her he was taking the car to New York, according to the release.

When Eaddy attempted to remove the keys from the ignition from the passenger seat, Johnson allegedly assaulted her, but she didn't leave because of the grandchildren, Johnson's cousins, in the back seat, according to the release.

As they were headed north on I-95, Eaddy told police she used the vehicle's OnStar communication and security system to call for help and OnStar then shut off the vehicle's engine. When the car had coasted to a stop near the Abingdon exit on I-95, Johnson left the car into the wooded area, state police said.

Troopers from the JFK Barrack, Bel Air Barrack and Aviation Command, as well as officers Baltimore County Police K-9 and the Harford County Sheriff's Office worked on the search for Johnson, who was later found walking along Route 24 near Route 7.

Johnson, who address is listed in court records as the 8500 block of Gradien Drive in Nottingham, was arrested without incident and charged in Baltimore County with multiple charges of kidnapping, kidnapping of a child under 16, false imprisonment, carjacking, second-degree assault, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and theft more than $10,000, according to Maryland online court records.

He is being held without bail at the Baltimore County Detention Center after a bail review hearing Monday in Baltimore County District Court, where the judge revoked bail that had been initially set at $500,000, according to online court records.