A hot water heater exploded in the basement of a Joppa Farm Road residence causing severe burns to the family members. The 10-year-old daughter, Naomi Stanley, received second- and third-degree burns over 90 percent of her body. Her father, 72-year-old Ridley Stanley, sustained second- and third-degree burns on 30 percent of his body. Her 60-year-old mother, Mary Stanley, sustained only first- and second-degree burns on her hands. Stanley and his daughter had gone to the basement to light the heater, which was gas operated. As the match was struck, the heater exploded, igniting the clothes of both. They ran upstairs, where Mary Stanley, pulled the burning clothes off them, burned her hands in the process.