From The Aegis dated Aug. 4, 1988:

After a 26-year-absence, the Harford County Farm Fair returned for three days 25 years ago this week, three years of work all leading up to the weekend.


The new Harford Farm Fair was to feature commercial exhibits, 4-H animal judging, games, entertainment, a sanctioned tractor pull – events all geared to Harford's agricultural tradition.

The role of Farm Queen was also up for grabs, with Kim Archer, Kate Van de Wal and Ardith Wilcke vying for the title.

Dr. Richard O. Cook, who chaired the 1988 Farm Fair with John O'Neill, was preparing for the three-day event; it was their vision that made the weekend possible.

Three years earlier, several Harford leaders anxious to renew the fair developed a plan to build the event around a midway, but the midway idea was nixed because of liability insurance costs and lack of an adequate site.

That led to the farm-oriented fair, which promised "to be the highlight of the year for Harford Countians."

Two brothers were recovering in Baltimore this week 25 years ago after one donated his kidney to the other. Bryan Hines, 18, was expected to be released a week after donating one of his kidneys to his 19-year-old brother, Roger Hines, in a surgery that took 7-1/2 hours. Roger Hines was expected to go home within 10 days of the surgery, which hospital personnel said went "exceptionally well."

Roger Hines, a former star football player at Havre de Grace High School, had been on dialysis since the winter when he was diagnosed with end-stage kidney failure likely brought on by high blood pressure. With his new kidney from his brother, who would be a senior at Joppatowne High School in the fall, working in his body, he no longer needed the dialysis.

An Abingdon father of six won $1.2 million in the lottery 25 years ago this week. The 51-year-old self-employed certified public accountant couldn't believe he had won. He said there was "just numbness – disbelief."

He was to get a check for $59,850 the first year and $61,000 every year thereafter for 20 years.

Robert Bauer Sr. used a combination of birthdates of his children – 7, 9, 16,17, 22 and 23 – to win.

Harford County Executive Habern Freeman was considering a veto of legislation that would not only give a raise to Harford's top government leader, it would also put limits on a county executive's outside employment activities. Freeman had been at the center of a controversy in which his moonlighting as a part-time physical therapist was called into question by the county council president.

The bill had to be acted on by Aug. 19; if the executive did not sign or veto the bill, it would stand as enacted.

Freeman, who couldn't seek a third term and therefore the raise would not apply to him, never criticized the salary for the job.

"I didn't take this job [executive] for the pay, and I didn't go to work [as a physical therapist] because of the salary here," Freeman said. "I have no complaints about my salary as executive."


Anne Sterling, of Bel Air, and George D. Lisby, 53, of Aberdeen, were appointed to fill vacancies on the Harford County Board of Education, while Paul Sands, of Edgewood, and Patricia Perluke, of Bel Air, were appointed to fill two of three vacancies on the Harford Community College Board of Trustees.

Glen Echo Furniture near Dublin was having a three-day 50 percent off sale, featuring brands such as Broyhill, La-Z-Boy, Serta, Pulaski Furniture Corporation and Mar-Clay Manor, among others.

Luskins was having a two-day sale featuring a car phone "Brand new! Brand Name! Cellular telephone!" for $399. A 13-inch solid state color TV with automatic fine tuning was $149, an Akai random access wireless remote programmable CD player was $159 and a Hoover self-propelled vacuum was $149.

The new Ponderosa restaurant in Main Street Center celebrated its grand opening 25 years ago this week. The restaurant was franchised to Ruthann and Ronald Upperman, longtime Harford educators who got help from the state and the new Bank of Maryland – Harford County to get their restaurant going.

The executive manager, with 27 years of experience with fast-food companies, was overseeing two managers and 90 employees.

"This has been a good smooth opening experience," Bob Schoppert said.