Rapid acceleration is taking place in the field of medicine as evidenced by the recent article regarding Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center (“$469M Bayview upgrade planned,” March 1). What makes this intriguing news even more so is the rapid acceleration of technology companies expanding just south of Bayview in the Canton area. The fusion of these two accelerations can be seen in the recent article, “$75 million raised to expand access to genomic testing" (Jan. 5). The new company is called Personal Genome Diagnostics. It has been stated that the company was built out of Hopkins and has grown to be a significant player in the exciting future of cancer therapeutics.
Perhaps lost in all of this is the fact that the above advances represent a continuation of the Industrial Revolution that began in the Canton area in 1828 under the aegis of the Canton Company (1828-1980). When it was first formed, the Canton Company acquired 6,000 acres to develop this industrial heartland of Baltimore. This mostly came from the estates of Capt. John O'Donnell and Col. Richard Colgate. The footprint of the company would extend well past Historic Canton to include both Brewer's Hill as well as the property where Bayview now exists.
The Canton Company no longer exists, but the spirit of the Industrial Revolution that was once successfully carried out in the Canton area still can be felt in the developments that are unfolding now in these extended areas.