The Taney statue is a direct copy of the one that sits on the grounds of the State House, but it lacks the symbolic counterpoint of the much more prominent statue of Supreme Court Justice and Civil Rights hero Thurgood Marshall on the opposite side of the capitol. The original Taney statue was commissioned by the state of Maryland and unveiled in 1872, a year before Congress would approve placing his bust among those of the nation's previous Supreme Court chief justices. (The Dred Scott case was infamous enough at the time that initially, Congress had planned to leave his space blank in the procession of chief justices.) Baltimore's Taney statue was unveiled in 1887 and was the gift of William T. Walters, the businessman and art collector. The Sun carried a lengthy article about the unveiling, opining at great length about its beauty and Taney's accomplishments, though omitting any mention of Dred Scott. Among the dignitaries on the scene were Sun president and publisher George W. Abell and Mayor Ferdinand Latrobe, who later extolled the statue to the City Council as depicting "one of the great men of the country."