St. Michael’s opened in 1852, when its parishioners were mostly German immigrants. Its pastors and curates once served one of the largest flocks in the premier American see. St. Michael’s had 10,000 parishioners in 1900. Its campus included a rectory and large parish hall, a girls school, a boys school and a convent. Over the years, the ethnicity of those who received the sacraments at St. Michael’s changed, reflecting the population of East Baltimore through the 20th Century — Poles, Italians, Czechs, Koreans, Lumbee American Indians and African-Americans. By the early part of this century, St. Michael’s had become a beloved parish of Hispanic immigrants. Despite a passionate effort to keep the historic church open, it went dark in 2011.