Dr. Charles E. Shaw Jr. 94, operated private practice for more than 40 years

Dr. Charles E. Shaw Jr. was an internal medicine doctor when doctor rating websites seemed unnecessary and bedside manner was a prerequisite. He was there for the early years of the use of penicillin and held affiliations with several Baltimore-area hospitals.

Dr. Shaw, who operated a private practice for more than 40 years, died Aug. 31 at age 94.


Dr. Shaw's son, Charles E. Shaw III, said that his father died of natural causes.

Born in Cumberland in 1920, Dr. Shaw graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park and enlisted in the Navy during World War II while in medical school at the University of Maryland.


He was commissioned as a lieutenant junior grade and was in San Francisco slated to join forces in Japan as a Marine battalion medical officer when Victory over Japan Day occurred.

Dr. Shaw then joined the occupation forces in Japan and later served in China before returning to the United States. He later served in the Korean War and was granted commission as a lieutenant aboard the U.S.S. Northampton.

Dr. Shaw began his private practice in 1949. His medical office was always housed in his residence, and though his practice was in internal medicine, he specialized in diabetes.

Mr. Shaw, who lives in Ellicott City, said that his father was granted privileges at what is now the University of Maryland Medical Center and Maryland General Hospital.

Mr. Shaw said his father rendered pro bono services at the diabetes clinic at University Hospital and went on to serve as chief of staff at Maryland General.

"He was a walking medical dictionary, anatomy and organic chemistry textbook, and a physicians' desk reference," said his son. "He was a member of the last generation of doctors who were able to have a broad mastery of the medical field."

Dr. Shaw ultimately gained affiliations at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and what is now University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center in Towson.

He moved to Towson in 1964, and retired from his practice at age 70, his son said.


"He was an old-fashioned doctor. When he had patients in the hospital, he would make his rounds even on Christmas Day," Mr. Shaw said.

"His patients really cared for him. Every year my mother and father would have a holiday party and most of the people there were either his doctor colleagues or his patients. Either patients became friends or friends went to him professionally."

After retirement, Dr. Shaw worked at the Social Security Administration reviewing disability cases. He worked for the administration for 15 years before retiring again at 85.

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

Dr. Shaw was married to the late Eva Lorden Shaw for 52 years.

Mr. Shaw said that his parents were fans of local opera. Mrs. Shaw was a musician and choral director, and both his parents were supporters of the Baltimore Opera Company.

"They held season subscriptions on a block of seats for the Saturday night performances, where they entertained family and friends for 50 years," Mr. Shaw said.


Dr. Shaw was also a fan of photography.

Plans for a memorial service are incomplete.

In addition to his son, Dr. Shaw is survived by another son, Harry L. Shaw of Towson; two granddaughters; and five great-grandchildren.