Theodore M. 'Ted' Jackson

<a href="bal-notable-md-deaths-july-2015-20150713" target="_blank">Theodore Marshall Jackson</a> of Glen Arm was a retired Crown Central Petroleum Corp. vice president and chief financial officer.

Theodore M. "Ted" Jackson, a retired Crown Central Petroleum Corp. vice president and chief financial officer who enjoyed singing, died July 21 of acute respiratory failure and complications of pneumonia at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center. The longtime Glen Arm resident was 87.

The son of Robert Jackson, a chief engineer for Lykes Brothers Steamship Co. who was lost at sea in 1942, and Mary Louise Walter Jackson, a homemaker, Theodore Marshall Jackson was born and raised in Beaumont, Texas.


After graduating in 1945 from Beaumont High School, he earned an associate's degree from Lanier Junior College in Beaumont and a business degree in 1951 from the University of Texas at Austin, where he had been a member of the ROTC.

From 1951 to 1952, he was a clerk for Gulf States Utilities. He served for three years in the Texas National Guard, and after being discharged with the rank of corporal, entered the Navy's Officer Candidate School in Newport, R.I., in 1952.


After graduating and being commissioned an ensign, he was assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Kula Gulf off Korea. He was discharged in 1955.

He was later sent to Naples, Italy, where he was assigned as an industrial relations officer at NATO.

During his high school years, Mr. Jackson had taken voice lessons, and when in Italy for NATO, continued his musical training, studying voice and opera. He served as director of the NATO United Command Chorus, which gave concerts throughout Italy and Malta.

While abroad, he married his Greek-born wife, the former Maria Pierracou-Dobrovoska, the Countess de Wernick de Vladis la Goda, in 1954.

After he was discharged with the rank of lieutenant, Mr. Jackson and his wife moved to Dallas, where he was vice president, secretary and treasurer of Purvin & Gertz Inc., petroleum consultants.

In 1973, they moved to New York City, where he was vice president of treasury and strategic planning at New England Petroleum Corp.

While in New York, he studied with the legendary voice teacher Samuel Margolis who had taught such Metropolitan Opera stars as Robert Merrill and Jerome Hines and Broadway stage and film personalities Gertrude Lawrence and Jose Ferrer.

Mr. Jackson moved to Baltimore in 1975 when he was named vice president of finance at Crown Central Petroleum Corp., and also served on the company's board. At the time of his retirement in 1992, he was senior vice president and chief financial officer.


"Ted was a very good employee. He loved his job and was very good at what he did," said Henry A. Rosenberg Jr., former president and CEO of Crown Central Petroleum. "He was an excellent financial man and was a major part of senior management at the company."

Mr. Jackson's professional memberships included the American Petroleum Institute, the Financial Executives Institute and the American Management Association. He was listed in Who's Who in Finance and Industry, Who's Who in the Petroleum Industry and Standard & Poor's Register of Corporations, Directors and Executives.

In retirement, he served on the board of the Central Maryland Chapter of the American Red Cross, which presented him the William J. Casey Award in 1996 in recognition of his service. He also was a board member of Child Care of the United Methodist Church and a member of the board of the Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington.

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

Mr. Jackson was a longtime active member of Towson United Methodist Church, where he had chaired the administrative board, evangelism and finance committees. He also was a member of the Staff Parish Relations Committee, the board of trustees, Caring and Sharing, Chancel Choir and was a liturgist.

He enjoyed singing for residents at retirement communities and nursing homes. In 1992, he sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Camden Yards before an exhibition game between the Baltimore Orioles and the New York Mets.

"He continued singing until his 80s, when he started to experience breathing problems," said his son, Mark Andrew Jackson of Glen Arm.


Even though he had left Texas many years ago, Mr. Jackson remained a Dallas Cowboys fan. He also was an Orioles and Ravens fan.

A celebration of Mr. Jackson's life will be held at 11 a.m. Sept. 19 at his church, 501 Hampton Lane.

In addition to his wife and son, Mr. Jackson is survived by two brothers, Robert William Jackson Sr. of Cypress, Texas, and Henry Woodrow Jackson of LaVerne, Calif.; and two sisters, Helen Louise Ward of Corpus Christi, Texas, and Sarah Mavourneen Purcell of Spring, Texas; and several nieces and nephews.