Robert W. Weinhold Sr., decorated Army Ranger

Robert W. Weinhold Sr., a decorated Army Airborne Ranger in the Vietnam War who later worked for several financial institutions, died Monday at the University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center of kidney failure. He was 75.

The son of Herman W. Weinhold, a textile millworker, and Mary Alice Weinhold, a homemaker, Robert Winway Weinhold was born and raised in Methuen, Mass., where he graduated in 1956 from Methuen High School.


He enrolled at Norwich University in Northfield, Vt., where he was captain and quarterback for the university's football team. He also earned Distinguished Military Student honors for serving in the Reserve Officers Training Corps.

After earning his bachelor's degree in 1960, he was commissioned an officer in the Army and was recognized for his counterinsurgency activities.


He was trained as an Airborne Ranger with the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell, Ky., and later served in Korea and Germany. While serving in Vietnam in counterinsurgency, he was assigned to Battery C, 2nd Missile Battalion, 56th Artillery.

Mr. Weinhold, who attained the rank of captain, served in the Army for nearly a decade, and his decorations included the Bronze Star for "fending off hostile forces" and the National Defense Medal.

Mr. Weinhold met his future wife, the former Etna Anne Anderson, who had just completed her nursing training in 1964 at the Sinai Hospital School of Nursing and had been commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Army Nursing Corps, while sitting in a Chicago airport.

"He asked her for a match," said a son, Robert W. "Rob" Weinhold Jr., a former city police spokesman who lives in Fallston. "And when her ride failed to show up, he drove her home."

The couple married three months later.

Mrs. Weinhold, who served in Vietnam as a combat nurse and later became clinical manager of the Greater Baltimore Medical Center's postpartum units 25 and 26, died in 2011. The couple had been married for 46 years.

After he left the service, Mr. Weinhold went to work for the old Union Trust Co. and later was manager of its Overlea branch.

He subsequently worked in real estate for Signet Bank, Commercial Credit Corp. and GFS Leasing. He also did title work and mortgages for private clients. He retired in the 1990s.


After retiring, Mr. Weinhold, a golfer, worked as a cart man at the Worthington Valley Golf Club and was a member of the support staff of River Downs Golf Club, formerly the Francis Scott Key Golf Club, in Finksburg.

"He loved golf, and one of his great lines was, 'Don't worry about hitting the ball straight, we'll just move the holes,' " his son said with a laugh.

A resident for more than 40 years of the Campus Hills area of Towson, Mr. Weinhold was a former member of the board of the Campus Cabana Pool, the neighborhood pool.

He was a volunteer and treasurer of Cromwell Valley Park and volunteered at Cromwell Valley Elementary School.

Mr. Weinhold shared his wife's interest in GBMC.

"He financially supported our spiritual support team and our TV productions at GBMC," said Chaplain J. Joseph Hart, director of spiritual support and executive director of the hospital's Center for Spiritual Support training.


"He volunteered at other organizations that needed managerial or financial assistance," his son said.

Mr. Weinhold was a longtime communicant and volunteer at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Towson.

He was also a member of the Optimist Club and the Gourmet Club in Towson.

He enjoyed dining at the Bluestone in Timonium, eating Italian food at Johnny Dee's Lounge in Parkville and was a huge fan of Pappas' crab cakes, family members said.

"After his wife's death, we became close friends and met for lunch once a month to eat crab cakes," said Mr. Hart.

"He was a good friend and of him I would say [he was a] still-waters-run-deep type of guy. He was introverted but had a great love of humanity and his family," he said. "Also, his quips were spot on, and he always had great one-liners."

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

His son described him as the "strong, silent type who had a quiet demeanor" but was gifted with a quick wit.

"When asked what he wanted for his birthday or Christmas, he'd say, 'Just a hot cup of coffee and a few kind words,' " Mr. Weinhold said.

Mr. Weinhold doted on his four grandchildren and each Christmas presented them with that year's edition of a replica Hess Oil Co. truck.

He was a fan of country music. His son said Mr. Weinhold "enjoyed sitting in his backyard while smoking a good cigar and reading the newspaper."

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10:30 a.m. Friday at his church, Baltimore and Ware avenues.

In addition to his son and four grandchildren, Mr. Weinhold is survived by two other sons, Christopher H. Weinhold of Towson and Gregory T. Weinhold of Leesburg, Va.; a daughter, Tierney Anne Little of Leesburg; a brother, David Weinhold of Alton, N.H.; and a sister, Marion Flurkey of Falmouth, Mass.