Dr. Philip H. Moore, a retired internist and rheumatologist

Dr. Philip H. Moore, a retired internist and rheumatologist and former consultant to the state Disability Determination Services, died Nov. 5 of respiratory failure at the University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center. The Lutherville resident was 80.

“I first met Phil when we were both at Loyola College and he was a senior biology major, and then we later moved to Rodgers Forge and were next-door neighbors and became the best of friends,” said retired Baltimore Circuit Judge Joseph P. McCurdy Jr. “Plus, we’re both Irish, and our wives are redheads.”


The son of Harvey P. Moore, a Baltimore Transit Co. streetcar motorman, and Una Mullin Moore, a homemaker, Philip Harvey Moore was born in Baltimore and raised on Boone Street.

After graduating from Loyola High School in 1955, he earned a bachelor’s degree in 1959 from what is now Loyola University Maryland. He earned a degree in 1963 from the University of Maryland School of Medicine.


In 1962, he married Rosanna Manning.

Dr. Moore completed an internship in general medicine at St. Agnes Hospital, and from 1964 to 1967 was a flight surgeon stationed at Kingsville Naval Air Station in Texas, where he earned the nickname “Zip Suture.”

After being discharged from the Navy with the rank of lieutenant, he completed a residency in 1967 in internal medicine at what is now Mercy Medical Center. He later completed his rheumatology training at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

Beginning in 1970, Dr. Moore maintained a private practice at Mercy Medical Center, Union Memorial Hospital and Good Samaritan Hospital. He retired in 2000.

In addition to his practice, Dr. Moore served as a medical analyst for the state Disability Determination Services until stepping down in 2015.

“He was here for 35 years,” said Dr. George B. Albright, chief medical consultant for the state Disability Determination Services, whose mission is to evaluate the eligibility of Marylanders who apply for Social Security disability programs and benefits.

“Phil was exceedingly professional in every way and in his manner. He had a wonderful work ethic and was always dependable,” said Dr. Albright, a Cockeysville resident.

“He was a quiet man who, when he came to work, you didn’t know he was there. It’s not that he was unfriendly, because he really was a great guy. It’s just that we have a heavy workload,” he said.


“He really was a prince of a guy. He was a rheumatologist by trade, but was a great resource for us. We were always asking his opinion because some of the claims could be very complex,” Dr. Albright said.

“I was his patient until he retired,” recalled Judge McCurdy, who now lives in Chestertown. “Phil was a very kind person and was really interested in any of my problems. He always gave me advice on what to eat and exercising. He was a very patient and nonconfrontational person who had a great sense of humor.

“He had lots of friends, and he kept friends, some of which went back to when he was very young,” Judge McCurdy said.

Judge McCurdy said Dr. Moore and his friends held an annual holiday egg nog gathering, “and it went on for 50 years. We all made egg nog, and Phil’s was the best; there was nothing better. It was made with whiskey and rum. I used to buy some for the courtroom staff, and they loved it.”

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

The former Rodgers Forge resident, who later moved to Lutherville, enjoyed gardening, caring for a pond that was on his property, bird-watching, and following the Orioles and Ravens on TV. He was also a student of Maryland history.

Dr. Moore and his wife prepared a special Thanksgiving morning breakfast.


“He and my mom made a killer kidney stew that was served on toast points,” said a son, Thomas P. Moore of Brooklyn, N.Y.

“It took a week to make, and they soaked the kidneys that long and then cut them up into small pieces,” he said. “It was a combo of recipes from Dad’s and Mom’s family recipes. Both sides made it years ago. It was [an] Irish thing, I guess.”

Plans for a memorial Mass to be held in December at the Carmelite Monastery on Dulaney Valley Road in Towson are incomplete.

In addition to his wife and son, Dr. Moore is survived by two other sons, Matthew S. Moore of Timonium and Paul R. Moore of Los Angeles; a daughter, Margaret Caroline “Marcie” Colt of Atlanta; and nine grandchildren.