Paul B. Moore, Evening Sun reporter

Thank you for supporting our journalism. This article is available exclusively for our subscribers, who help fund our work at The Baltimore Sun.

Paul B. Moore, a former Evening Sun reporter and editor who later became a public relations executive, died Nov. 27 from complications of prostate cancer at his Homeland residence. He was 84.

"Paul was a very conscientious reporter and a very conscientious person. He was very talented and what he did, he did well," said Helen Delich Bentley, a former newsroom colleague who later became a congresswoman and federal maritime commissioner.


"As a reporter, he was always fair, and wherever he went always looked for something interesting and challenging," said Mrs. Bentley. "He was never rude and was a genuinely decent person."

"Paul was frequently in all the chaos and breaking news that descended on The Evening Sun. He was Mr. Calm. He was the guy everyone turned to. He was the voice of order and calm," said David Culhane, who later joined CBS News in New York City. "Paul was always the safe and steady hand when we were in the middle of trouble spots."


The son of a real estate broker and a homemaker, Paul Benedict Moore was born in Rockaway Beach, N.Y., and graduated in 1946 from Baldwin High School in Baldwin, N.Y.

Mr. Moore earned a bachelor's degree in economics in 1950 from Mount St. Mary's College in Emmitsburg.

In 1950, he began his newspaper career as a district circulation manager for Newsday Inc. in Garden City, N.Y., before enlisting in the Air Force that year.

From 1950 to 1954, Mr. Moore edited an Air Force weekly newspaper and after leaving the service joined the staff of The Frederick News, where he was a reporter for a year.

Mr. Moore began his career on The Evening Sun in 1955, working as a reporter, rewrite man and finally an assistant city editor.

A versatile writer, Mr. Moore covered such diverse stories as the annual Maryland State Fair in Timonium, the 1956 National Soap Box Derby in Akron, Ohio, that featured a Baltimore challenger who eventually lost the race, and local and national politics.

A Bolton Hill resident during his newspaper days, Mr. Moore wrote a 1962 profile of his neighbor and friend, Leon Fleisher, the celebrated pianist, for the old Sunday Magazine.

"The road to fame as a concert artist began for Fleisher in 1932 when his mother bought a piano, not for him but for his brother Raymond, five years his senior," wrote Mr. Moore. "School work kept Raymond from progressing far with his music lessons and Leon, then 4, took over."


"He was a fine writer who wrote with lucidity and clarity," said Mr. Culhane, who lives in Larchmont, N.Y. "He was always very perceptive about people. He was patient and knew how to figure them out."

"Paul was a very innovative writer and knew how to write a story, and as a newspaperman, he was a great one," said retired Baltimore Circuit Judge Thomas Ward, who earlier had been a reporter for The Sun and a city councilman. "He was also a very polite gentleman."

While working for The Evening Sun, Mr. Moore had a newspaper romance, when he fell in love and married in 1958 the former Loudine "Lou" Dunning, who worked in the newspaper's library.

Mr. Moore left The Evening Sun in 1962 and worked for a year as an assistant city editor for the old Washington Star.

In 1963, Mr. Moore was named director of communications for the Maryland Port Authority, a position he held until 1967, when he became supervisor of public relations and advertising for the Westinghouse Electric Corp. Defense and Space Center.

A year later, Mr. Moore became information officer for the Maryland Constitutional Convention.


He then went into advertising and was a partner with Ruehl & Co. Inc., until joining Buddemeier Advertising Inc. in 1971, as a partner and vice president.

Mr. Moore was named the first public relations officer for the Maryland Lottery Commission in 1972, a position he held for two years, until being appointed to the newly created position of director of information and trade development for the Maryland Aviation Administration.

In 1980, he resigned from the aviation agency and became public relations director for the Saudi Arabia Ministry of Defense and Aviation, working on the International Airports Project.

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

During his years in Saudi Arabia, Mr. Moore lived in Jeddah and Riyadh, and from 1989 to 1993, when he returned to Baltimore, he was public affairs adviser for the Saudi Arabian Marketing and Refining Co., where he also edited the Samarec Review.

From 1993 until retiring in 2000, Mr. Moore was communications director at what is now Towson University, where he also taught introductory journalism courses.

In his retirement, Mr. Moore wrote "Broadmead Through the Years," a 25th-anniversary history of the Hunt Valley retirement community, in 2004.


The longtime Taplow Road resident enjoyed singing, working in his garden and driving his vintage 1969 Plymouth Satellite. He also was an active member of the Mid-Atlantic Plymouth Club.

He was a former communicant of Corpus Christi Roman Catholic Church in Bolton Hill, and later of St. Mary of the Assumption in Govans, where plans for a January memorial gathering are incomplete.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Moore is survived by three daughters, Jennifer Moore of Fells Point, Karen Moore "Kam" Roberts of Linthicum Heights and Adrienne Lee Marsh of Nottingham, England; and four grandchildren.