Harry C. 'Jack' Hull III

Harry C. "Jack" Hull III, a retired financial consultant and an accomplished yachtsman, died April 5. The former Annapolis resident was 68.

Harry C. "Jack" Hull III, a retired financial consultant and an accomplished yachtsman who enjoyed competitive sailing and ocean racing, died April 5 at his Cleveland home of cancer. The former Annapolis resident was 68.

"Jack was a delightful person and was a knowledgeable crew member," said R. Hart Beaver, who was skipper of two sloops, one a 43-footer and the other 44 feet long, that were named Chance. "We had a great 25 years of sailing together, and Jack was an intimate part of that."


The son of Dr. Harry C. Hull Jr., a Baltimore general surgeon and professor of medicine, and Anne Hoke Hull, a homemaker, Harry Clay Hill III was born in Baltimore and raised on Roland Avenue.

While a student at Gilman School, Mr. Hull became an outstanding lacrosse player and began his lifelong love of the sport.


He graduated from Gilman in 1965, and attended the University of Richmond for a semester. He joined the Marines and served as a supply officer from 1968 until 1970, when he was discharged with the rank of corporal.

Mr. Hull enrolled at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., where he became captain of the lacrosse team his senior year and earned the nickname "Ace," said his sister, Barbara H. Francis, of Bolton Hill.

After graduating from F&M, Mr. Hull became an administrator at what is now the University of Maryland Medical Center and worked closely with Dr. R Adams Crowley, who had established the nation's first trauma center at the University of Maryland. Mr. Hull supervised and managed administrative support services for both Maryland Shock Trauma Center and the hospital's oncology center.

Mr. Hull earned a master's degree in business in 1980 from the Sellinger School of Business at Loyola University Maryland, graduating first in his class.

In 1981, Mr. Hull left the hospital and became an assistant vice president at Signet Bank as an asset manager in commercial real estate. From 1989 to 1991, he was a management, marketing and financial consultant for a health care and financial management firm in Annapolis.

Mr. Hull was vice president of Burns & Russell Co. in Baltimore from 1991 to 1993, when he took a job as a general contractor for an Annapolis residential construction company. He was a senior asset manager for Enterprise Social Investment Corp. in Columbia from 1996 to 1998.

In 1998, he moved to Cleveland, where he became a consultant at Your Bean Counters. In 2005, he became CEO of Ohio Teamsters Credit Union, and in 2008 he returned to Your Bean Counters, where he worked until 2011.

Mr. Hull was still consulting at the time of his retirement this spring.


During the 1970s, Mr. Hull developed a passion for sailing, which, in addition to lacrosse, became a lifelong passion. He built a home in the 1980s in the Bay Ridge section of Annapolis to be closer to the Chesapeake Bay.

"We were young adults when we began sailing together," said Alfred T. Gundry III, whose friendship with Mr. Hull goes back to when they were students at the Calvert School and later Gilman.

"Jack developed over many, many years into a fine sailor and seaman who could handle any situation that came up," said Mr. Gundry, who is president of Interyacht Inc. in Annapolis. "He was a seasoned sailor and his ability to handle any situation, from the weather or anything else, came from thousands and thousands of miles of racing experience."

"Jack crewed with us from 1972 to 1988 mostly on the Chesapeake Bay, and then we did four races from Newport to Bermuda, and then four or five Annapolis to Newport races," said Mr. Beaver who lives in Richland, Pa., and has a second home in Annapolis.

"Those offshore races can be dangerous, but Jack just fit in perfect," he said. "We always had a crew of 10, and I can tell you, Jack was always very neat."

After moving to Cleveland, Mr. Hull continued his love for racing on Lake Erie, which he found as challenging as the Chesapeake Bay, and participated in Cleveland Race Week from 2001 to 2013.


He also sailed in the Falcon Cup Race from the Cleveland Yacht Club to Mentor Harbor, Ohio, and the Leukemia Cup Race.

In a 2008 article in Sail Magazine, Mr. Hull recounted an incident during a 2007 Cleveland Race Week race. He was sailing at 81/2 knots in 8-foot waves when he suddenly heard a crack followed by a loud thud.

"When the wheel began to spin in my hands, I knew we had lost steerage," he wrote. "To get a better assessment of the situation — and to see whether we could get our steering back — I opened the port cockpit hatch cover and climbed down for a closer look."

What greeted Mr. Hull was water rushing into the rudderpost's stuffing box, and looking over the vessel's side, he realized it had suffered major hull damage.

"Now what? I remembered the advice I'd received long ago: Never get off a boat until you have to step up," he wrote. "With water now up to our knees in the main cabin, the time had clearly come."

As the rescue boat headed to shore, Mr. Hull watched his sailboat slowly sink, the vessel landing on its keel with about 15 feet of mast rising above the wreck.


The sailboat was later raised and declared a total loss by the insurance company, he wrote.

"We knew she was going out of our lives at the top of her game," Mr. Hull wrote.

"Jack's years of experience had prepared him for this," said Mr. Gundry. "He had the crew in life jackets, remained calm, and no one got hurt."

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

"Jack and I raced almost 600 races over the time we sailed together," said Jonathan Hull, who is no relation, and lives in Cleveland. "We did well in some and not so well in a lot of others. Jack sailed because he loved it."

In 2005, Jack Hull began the Rocky River High School Boys' Lacrosse Team, where he was assistant coach and then coach until 2010.

Mr. Hull was a longtime member of the Annapolis Yacht Club and Edgewater Yacht Club in Cleveland.


Mr. Hull was a communicant, usher and bell toller at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Lakewood, Ohio.

Earlier, he had been a member of St. David's Episcopal Church, 4700 Roland Ave., where a memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday.

In addition to his sister, Mr. Hull is survived by his wife of 10 years, the former Joanne Ross Montagner, a certified public accountant who owns Your Bean Counters; a stepson, Matthew Montagner of Detroit; and two nieces.