According to a biography supplied by his family, he began his law practice in Baltimore in 1945 and returned to Kent County in 1946. In June 1950, he joined the U.S. foreign aid program and was a security officer in Paris. He resumed his law practice in Chestertown in 1952 and was elected state's attorney for Kent County in November 1954. In 1956, he was appointed to serve as Kent County's state senator. In 1958, he was elected to the same post.