Francis W. "Bunky" Wagner, a retired salesman and World War II veteran, died July 15 of heart failure at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He was 88.
The son of John H. Wagner Sr., a lithographer, and Clara Wagner, a homemaker, Francis William Wagner was born and raised in Brooklyn.
After graduating from City College in 1944, he enlisted in the Army, where he was trained as a medic and served in the occupation of Japan. He was discharged in 1946.
He earned a bachelor's degree in 1951 in industrial engineering from the University of Baltimore, where he played lacrosse and was a wrestler.
A career salesman, Mr. Wagner worked in retail for 14 years, principally at the Montgomery Ward store in Glen Burnie, from which he retired in 1983.
The Arnold resident was a lifelong sailor and member of the Potapskut Sailing Association on the Magothy River.
In 1959, Mr. Wagner and his wife, the former Patricia H. Wheeler, built their home overlooking the Magothy River, where they also raised standard poodles.
Mr. Wagner was an avid gardener and enjoyed working in his yard. He also was a bird-watcher.
"Over 56 years, he moved every cubic inch of dirt in the yard at least three times," said his daughter, Laura J. Eastwood of Hillsborough, N.C.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Aug. 5 at the Naval Academy Chapel, 121 Blake Ave., Annapolis, with interment at a later date in Arlington National Cemetery.
In addition to his wife, whom he married in 1957, and daughter, Mr. Wagner is survived by a son, William P. Wagner of Arnold; and five grandchildren. Twin sons John Wagner and Joseph Wagner died in 1963.