Constantine Kutson, a retired state chemist who analyzed highway paints and was a leader in his church, died of cardiac arrest June 10 at University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center. The Timonium resident was 95.
Born in Weirton, W.Va., he was the son of Nicholas Kutson and Angela Kutson, Greek immigrants from Asia Minor. He was a 1937 graduate of Weir High School and earned a bachelor's degree in chemistry and biology at West Virginia University.
From 1942 to 1943, he taught chemistry, biology and physics at Weir High School. He enlisted in the Army Air Forces during World War II and attended Yale University to study radio communications. He was assigned to Algeria, where he had nearly 300 men under his command. A second lieutenant, he was stationed in Athens, Greece, after the war. He left military service as a captain.
In 1946, he moved to Baltimore and married Catherine Hajimihalis, whose family owned a West Lexington Street grocery business, where she worked. For several years, the couple operated a grocery store in Weirton.
In 1954, he became a chemist with the Maryland Water Pollution Control Commission. He held the post until 1962. He then became chief chemist for the State Highway Administration in its paint and chemical division. He approved paint for Maryland highways and bridges. He retired in 1983.
Mr. Kutson was active in Baltimore's Greek community. He was chairman of the Annunciation Cemetery Committee and oversaw construction of the Chapel of the Resurrection at the Woodlawn cemetery.
Mr. Kutson was a gardener and kept a large vegetable garden in Catonsville, where he lived for many years. He was a member of the American Hellenic Education Progressive Association for 65 years.
"He was a loving family man," said a daughter, Maria Letras of Phoenix in Baltimore County. "He was also the president of every school PTA where his children went. When invited to speak on parenting, he gave all the credit to my mother."
A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, 24 W. Preston St., where he was a parish council member from 1976 to 1982 and also worked at church festivals.
In addition to his daughter, survivors include two sons, Nicholas Kutson of Cockeysville and William Kutson of Potomac; another daughter, Estelle Wallace of Columbia; nine grandchildren; and two great-granddaughters. His wife of more than 64 years died in 2010.