Carole L. Maier, artist

Carole Lynn Maier, a stained-glass artist and former House of Ruth board president, died of an autoimmune lung ailment Feb. 24 at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. The Kingsville resident was 60.

Born Carole Lynn Smith in Baltimore and raised in Kingsville, she was a 1970 graduate of Perry Hall High School. At age 18, while living her grandparents, she changed her name to theirs, Maier.


As a young woman, she moved to the Tuscany-Canterbury neighborhood.

"She loved the city," said her husband, Mark Wiesand, who sells jet fuel for corporate aviation. "She liked all of Baltimore's cultural attractions, the arts, the museums, the symphony and experimental theater. In life, Carole danced every dance. She was not a spectator."


She enrolled at the Johns Hopkins University and studied art history and accounting. In 1979, she joined the Baltimore Museum of Art as its business manager. She supervised the cashiers at the museum store, among other responsibilities.

While at the museum she was also active in the early development of the House of Ruth, a domestic-violence center then located on Maryland Avenue.

"Part of our fundraising effort was organizing auctions," said a friend, Jennifer Burdick of Baltimore. "She ran all over the city collecting auction items. We were happy if we made $10,000."

In 1985, Ms. Maier became president of its board of directors and led the organization in the publication of its first long-range plan. She was also active in the search to get a permanent home for the House of Ruth.

"She worked well as a group leader and took advice from other people," said Ms. Burdick. "She was able to move the organization in a pivotal year."

Ms. Maier later moved to Ocean City and became general manager of the Mermaid Restaurant. She also was a business manager of the then newly restored Atlantic Hotel in Berlin in Worcester County. While living in Ocean City in 1980s, she met her future husband and developed her early studies in stained glass. Her first creations were night lights.

In 1990, she returned to Baltimore and established her stained-glass business, F. & L. Berkley's Stained Glass, and took master classes in stained glass and other studio arts. She ran a studio and crafted original pieces for sale and did custom work for her clients.

"She developed an extensive knowledge and produced beautiful pieces," said Ms. Burdick.


She made a glass composition she named "Stake Fish," a large piece to be placed in a garden featured at the 2003 Artscape. She later incorporated seashells, nuggets and stones in her work.

"All her work was her own original design," her husband. "She did not work from pattern books."

She exhibited her art in juried craft shows and taught continuing education courses through Harford Community College.

"She shared her craft with emerging artists at her studio in Kingsville," said Ms. Burdick.

She found that her glass-making could not support her and she took a second job. From 1991 to 1994, she was deputy director of the Baltimore Jobs In Energy Project.

Friends said that while visiting spots throughout Baltimore, she became acquainted with Carroll Park and Mount Clare Mansion. She selected its carriage house as the site of her 1995 wedding.


More than 20 years ago, she and her husband began attending concerts of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. They later joined its fundraising arm, the Baltimore Symphony Associates. She displayed her stained glass at the annual Symphony Show House.

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

"She loved parties that involved bringing her friends together," said Ms. Burdick. "She would notify friends and get them to her home to watch a Ravens game."

Ms. Maier celebrated the Fourth of July by gathering with friends at a cookout on the Kingsville parade route.

She was also a world traveler.

She donated her body to the Maryland Anatomy Board

A celebration of her life will be held later this year.


In addition to her husband of 18 years, survivors include her mother, Doris Smith; a brother, Ronald Smith; and a nephew, Andrew Smith, all of Kingsville.