Carol D. Lockwood, opera singer

Carol D. Lockwood, an opera singer who performed for years with the Baltimore Civic Opera Company, died Nov. 28 at the Golden Living Nursing Home in Frederick from complications of Alzheimer's disease. She was 86.

The daughter of Herbert L. Judge, a laborer, and Bula Naomi Perkins Judge, a homemaker, Carol Francis Judge was born in Mason City, Iowa, and was raised in Lauraville.


She was a graduate of Eastern High School and studied at the Peabody Conservatory of Music from 1953 to 1956.

In the late 1940s and into the early 1950s, she worked as a secretary to Martha Filbert, who was the president of the J.H. Filbert Co., and later at Rodgers Forge Elementary School.


Mrs. Lockwood began singing as a child and though she was raised in humble circumstances, her parents made sure she received singing lessons. She later studied with the former Metropolitan Opera diva Rosa Ponselle.

A dramatic soprano, she performed with the Peabody Opera Company, church choirs and theater groups and at municipal concerts.

In 1956, she traveled to New York City, where she sang on Ted Mack's National Amateur Talent Championships, which was broadcast on nationwide TV from the old Madison Square Garden. From 1957 to 1958, she studied at the Mozarteum University of Salzburg.

The former Towson resident, whose stage names were Carol Day or Carol O'Day, later became one of the mainstays of the old Baltimore Civic Opera Company, singing such roles as Gilda from Verdi's "Rigoletto" and "Aida," and Puccini's "La Boheme."

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

For years, Mrs. Lockwood was a soloist at Second Church of Christ, Scientist in Liberty Heights and at Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist in Washington.

In 1967, she married John O. Lockwood, a federal worker with the Department of Labor and later the Environmental Protection Agency. He died in 1991.

Due to the nature of her husband's work, the couple lived in Cheverly from 1968 to 1974, when they moved to Santa Rosa, Calif. They also lived in Winchester, Va., Fairfield, Calif., and Inwood, W.Va.

While living in Inwood, she was a voice instructor at the Inwood School of the Performing Arts. In 2005, she returned to Maryland and resided in various nursing homes until her death.


A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 20 at the Shrine of the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, 3211 Pine St., N.W., Washington.

She is survived by a son, Jeffrey J. Lockwood of Falling Waters, W.Va.; a daughter, Charlene Lockwood of Baltimore; and two sisters, Jackie Fulcher of Bel Air and Jean Ingham of Lorton, Va.