Bishop Lee Robinson Sr., city's first black police commissioner, dies at 86

Bishop Lee Robinson Sr., the city's first African-American police commissioner who began his 50-year law enforcement career with the Baltimore Park Police and went on to lead two state agencies, died Monday of Alzheimer's disease and dementia at Gilchrist Hospice Care in Towson. The longtime Homeland resident was 86.

After steadily rising through the ranks of the city Police Department, Mr. Robinson was named commissioner in 1984 by then-Mayor William Donald Schaefer. He went on to become the state's secretary of public safety and correctional services in Mr. Schaefer's administration and was secretary of juvenile justice under Gov. Parris N. Glendening.


"He was the first person when Schaefer became governor he chose to head a state agency. Schaefer had a huge amount of respect for Bishop," said Mary Ann Saar, former secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

"Bishop was running a huge operation — 12,000 employees and a billion-dollar budget. He went in early and came home late," Ms. Saar said. "He knew how to talk to people, and he knew how to get information. That's what made him a good police officer."


"He was one of the few people I asked to stay on — he was so good," said Mr. Glendening. "Bishop Robinson had a presence about him. You knew when he was in a room. It was not arrogance. It was his personal confidence. He was strong and tough but was genteel when you spoke to him personally. My conversations with him were calm and professional."

The son of John Robinson, a laundry worker, and Pearl Robinson, a homemaker, Mr. Robinson was born in Baltimore and raised at the McCulloh Homes on the city's west side.

In a 1997 Baltimore Sun interview, Mr. Robinson recalled a vastly different time growing up at the McCulloh Homes, when residents could enjoy summer evenings sitting in its courtyard and "nobody was running through with a Tec-9."

He credited his father, who could not read or write but had a mind for numbers, with making sure he completed his homework each day.

He was a 1945 graduate of Frederick Douglass Senior High School and served in the Army as a clerk typist before being discharged in 1946.

Mr. Robinson earned a bachelor's degree in 1971 from the University of Baltimore, and two years later, a master's degree in education from what is now Coppin State University. He earned his law degree from the University of Baltimore in 1986.

Mr. Robinson joined the Baltimore Park Police in 1951 and locked up his first prisoner that year when he caught a young man smoking marijuana. As commissioner 33 years later, he marveled at the 12,000 drug arrests his officers were making each year.

At the dawn of his law enforcement career, institutional racism was accepted. Black police officers could not patrol white neighborhoods or be assigned police cars.


"This is a man whose life should be celebrated for tearing down barriers by climbing his way to the top of an organization that historically treated African-Americans with disrespect and derision," Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said in a statement. "But Commissioner Robinson's palpable presence made him a force to be reckoned with. The trail he cut for so many that came after him will be one that should never be forgotten."

Leonard Hamm, city police commissioner from 2004 to 2007, said Mr. Robinson was a "giant in this town, a giant in law enforcement."

"He showed us what we needed to do in the Police Department in order to be successful," Mr. Hamm said of minority officers. "He came from the McCulloh projects, I came from the Cherry Hill projects. When he was made [commissioner], I saw that I could do the same thing."

Mr. Robinson joined the city Police Department on Jan. 17, 1952, as a foot patrolman and later worked for its Criminal Investigation Division. After a brief stint with the Federal Bureau of Narcotics in 1953, he returned to the department in 1954 and was assigned to the Northwestern District. He rejoined criminal investigations later that year.

Mr. Robinson was promoted numerous times and named a lieutenant colonel in 1974. His posts included assignments to the police academy as an instructor; commander of the Eastern District and later the Central Records Division; and area chief of the Patrol Division.

In 1978, Mr. Robinson became a colonel and chief of the Patrol Division, in charge of all nine police districts and the Tactical Division.


Mr. Robinson was named deputy commissioner in 1978 and assigned to the Service Bureau. In 1981, he was assigned to the Operations Bureau, which oversaw the day-to-day operation of the department.

In a 2007 interview with The Baltimore Sun, Mr. Robinson said he "climbed every rank — I didn't miss a step — until Mayor William Donald Schaefer appointed me commissioner in 1984."

Bishop Douglas Miles, chairman of the interfaith group Baltimoreans United in Leadership Development, said he recently apologized to Mr. Robinson for calling him an "Uncle Tom" some 40 years ago.

"I had to eat my own words," Bishop Miles said. "The things he accomplished, the stances he took, he was a man to be respected. In the folly of youth, I could not see the stature of the man at the time."

Bishop Miles said he knew Mr. Robinson his entire adult life, watching him rise through the ranks of the Police Department.

"We've lost one of the jewels of Baltimore, who gave selflessly to make the city and the state safer places. He was a pioneer for the African-American community, and a real champion," he said.


The Police Department annex headquarters at Fayette and President streets was named after Mr. Robinson in 2007. His wife, the former Ruth Ann Folio, led the effort.

"Imagine a building with a cop's name on it. I drive by it every day to just make sure that the sign with my name on it is still there," Mr. Robinson told The Sun in 2007 with a laugh.

Mr. Robinson was one of the founding members of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives.

After Mr. Robinson left the department in 1987, Mr. Schaefer named him to head the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, a position he held until stepping down in 1997.

One of his notable achievements during his tenure as secretary was the opening in 1995 of Baltimore's Central Booking and Intake Center, a $56 million facility that was the first in the nation to consolidate police booking, bail review, fingerprinting and incarceration.

"When Bishop L. Robinson stepped into the job as Maryland's public safety secretary in 1987, he inherited a prison system in disarray: weak management, poor planning and lengthy construction delays," said an editorial in The Sun at the time of his retirement.


"Ten years later, Mr. Robinson leaves his successor a much more disciplined and well-managed department," said the editorial.

Mr. Robinson then became a consultant for Lockheed Martin Co. until Mr. Glendening named him interim juvenile justice secretary in 1999 in the aftermath of abuses uncovered at the state's juvenile boot camps. He later headed the department as its full-time secretary from 2000 until retiring in 2003.

"He had a reputation for his honesty and his integrity," said Mr. Glendening. "He was able to convey his mission to his staff at his department, but more importantly, he conveyed his tone and purpose to the public. He was the man I chose when I needed someone who could assert control and give confidence to the public."

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun


Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the

His sermon-like quality when testifying earned Mr. Robinson the sobriquet of "The Archbishop."

Mr. Robinson was an inveterate traveler and a dog lover.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. Jan. 18 at Coppin State University's Physical Education Complex, Gwynns Falls Parkway and Warwick Avenue.


Governor Martin O'Malley has ordered the Maryland State Flag to be flown at half-staff. The flag is to remain lowered until sunset on Wednesday, Jan. 8.

In addition to his wife of 26 years, Mr. Robinson is survived by a son, Bishop L. Robinson Jr. of Ellicott City; a daughter, Jessica A. Robinson of Homeland; a brother, Alan Robinson of Baltimore; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. An earlier marriage ended in divorce.

Sun reporters Jacques Kelly, Justin Fenton and Luke Broadwater contributed to this article, as well as researcher Paul McCardell.