Stretch of likely showers could start with storms

There is a chance for stormy weather this afternoon and evening as we enter a damp and dreary stretch to end the month.

Central and western Maryland are included in an area that could see some strong winds and thunderstorms today as a cold front moves across warm, moist air over the Interstate 95 corridor, according to the Storm Prediction Center. The center gives us about a 15 percent chance of severe, damaging winds.

Rainfall isn't expected to be heavy, with about a quarter of an inch in the forecast of the National Weather Service's Baltimore/Washington office. A 40 percent chance of rain is expected this morning, increasing to 60 percent in the afternoon and evening.

The storms have already produced widespread lightning, as a map posted on AccuWeather's northeast U.S. blog shows.

The forecast is similar through the weekend. A chance of showers remains Thursday, and a chance for isolated storms returns Friday and Saturday with more showers possible Sunday.

Every bit of rain is still needed, although drought conditions have moderated after a rainy August. Just shy of 2 inches have fallen so far this month at BWI Marshall Airport, while the normal total for the month is about 4 inches.

The rain could disrupt the Orioles' push for the playoffs, with home games scheduled for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to close out the regular season. Storms would obviously be bad, but otherwise, rain could be scattered and light enough to get the games in as scheduled.

Have a weather question? E-mail me at or tweet to @MdWeather.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad