Harry Judd Rose and Diane Beverly Rose

Harry Judd Rose, a retired bus driver with the Maryland Transit Administration and a World War II veteran, died Sunday at Gilchrist Hospice Care from complications of a fall.

He was 94, and died four days after his daughter, Diane Beverly Rose, 62, who also was in the Towson hospice and died from complications of Down syndrome.

Father and daughter were across the hall from each other — she in room 12 and he in room 14.

Miss Rose, who was born with Down syndrome, lived with her father and her mother, Dorothy Rose, at their Rosedale home until five years ago, when she moved to Gallagher Services in Timonium.

After graduating from the Ridge School, Miss Rose worked for the Baltimore Association for Retarded Citizens in their workshop on various projects.

"Diane was extremely proud of her biweekly paychecks, which gave her a sense of worth, dignity and pride," said her brother, Wayne Rose of Rosedale.

She participated in various bowling leagues and attended Saturday night dances at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, where she was a member.

"Her all-time favorite entertainer was Elvis Presley," her brother said. "She was also a fan of World Wrestling Entertainment."

Miss Rose entered Gilchrist on Feb. 22, and was joined there three days later by her father. She died on Feb. 29, and her funeral was held Saturday at the Cvach-Rosedale Funeral Home.

In addition to her brother, Miss Rose is survived by a nephew.

Mr. Rose, who died Sunday morning, was born in Mineral, Va., and later moved with his family to Baltimore. He attended city public schools.

Before World War II, he worked as a doorman at the old Southern Hotel on Light Street, and while working there, met and fell in love with Dorothy Wolf, who was a waitress in the hotel's restaurant.

The couple married in 1940 and were together until her death in 2011.

"During his employment at the Southern, he met such celebrities as the Andrews Sisters, Three Stooges and Johnny Weissmuller," his son said.

Mr. Rose went to work for the old Baltimore Transit Co. as a streetcar motorman in the early 1940s, and with the outbreak of World War II, enlisted in the Army.

Serving as a private, he guarded Japanese prisoners of war in the Pacific Theater.

After the war, he returned to the BTC — which later became the Maryland Transit Administration. After the end of streetcar service in 1963, he drove transit buses until his retirement in 1981.

In 1982, he became a finalist in the "Mayor Schaefer Look-Alike Contest."

He was an active member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Charles Evering Post and was a longtime volunteer at the Fort Howard Veterans Administration Hospital.

He had lived for four years at Brightview Assisted-Living in White Marsh, but moved to Lighthouse Assisted-Living in Essex last October.

Mr. Rose was a longtime active member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Rosedale, where he cut grass and worked on other church maintenance projects.

Services were held Wednesday at Cvach-Rosedale Funeral Home.

In addition to his son, Mr. Rose is survived by a grandson.


Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad