Donald Trump continues to campaign in Florida on Wednesday, as Hillary Clinton hosts two rallies in Colorado and Nevada.
- Two women step forward and allege Trump groped them. Clinton's campaign responds.
- Russia's response to U.S. accusations that it hacked Democratic emails? How flattering.
- A top Bernie Sanders aide comes to the defense of Donna Brazile in email flap.
- They wanted Trump off the ballot, now they are voting for him.
- Trump backers tweet #repealthe19th after polls show he'd win if only men voted.
It was only days ago that some GOP politicians were so upset with Donald Trump that they declared he should drop out of the race.
Now, they plan to vote for him.
At least four congressional office holders or candidates who denounced Trump over a videotape in which he boasted of sexually assaulting women now say he’s fit for the White House. They include Sen. Deb Fischer and Rep. Jeff Fortenberry of Nebraska, Sen. John Thune of South Dakota and Darryl Glenn, the GOP nominee in the Colorado Senate race.
“I never said I wasn’t voting for our Republican ticket,” Fischer said on a radio interview, as reported by the Lincoln Journal Star.
It was only Saturday that she asked Trump to vacate the race, calling his remarks on the 2005 video “disgusting and totally unacceptable under any circumstance.”
Fortenberry said he would prefer to see vice presidential nominee Mike Pence take Trump’s place on the ticket, but concluded that is not legally possible. He said he has decided a vote for Trump is the only path to stopping Hillary Clinton.
Thune was the first senator to declare Trump an intolerable nominee who had to go. He called the Trump video “more offensive than anything I had ever seen.” But by midweek, he said Trump would likely get his vote.
“He has a lot of work to do, I think, to win this election,” Thune told the Rapid City Journal. “But I’m certainly not going to vote for Hillary Clinton.”
Glenn, according to the Denver Post, had gone so far as to declare on Facebook that “Trump is simply disqualified from being commander in chief. America cannot have a man who speaks this way about women be the face of our country to the free world.”
The post has been removed, and Glenn is now back on board with the Trump campaign. He told Fox News that he was satisfied by the “contrition” Trump displayed in the presidential debate Sunday.