No charges in case of Nikita Levy, Hopkins doctor accused of secret taping

Authorities have concluded the investigation into the Johns Hopkins gynecologist suspected of recording patients during exams and determined that no one will face criminal charges, according to court records.

Dr. Nikita Levy committed suicide in February 2013, amid an investigation into cameras and hard drives that police have said they believe he was using to record patients. Though his death pre-empted any prosecution of Levy, police launched an investigation to learn whether there were co-conspirators.

In a motion filed last month in a civil lawsuit against Johns Hopkins Hospital, attorneys wrote that "both the FBI and [Baltimore Police Department] had completed their investigations, and after consultation with the Office of the State's Attorney, have determined that no criminal charges will be filed against any individuals."

The disclosure comes in a motion by plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit against Hopkins, requesting that the court seal images of the women who may have been photographed or filmed by Levy.

The Baltimore Sun inquired about the status of the case in December, and police said the case was open. Police later clarified that the case was classified within the agency as "closed," but said the case was nevertheless still being "actively investigated." The Sun inquired again in late January, and was told the case had been "turned over in its entirety" to the FBI, which confirmed this month that its efforts had concluded.

Records in the civil lawsuit say Hopkins analyzed billing records and has identified 12,692 people who "may have been patients or otherwise treated by Dr. Levy during his employment" beginning in 1988.

As of October 2013, lawyers in the class action suit said they were collectively representing 3,900 patients and seeking to locate more through television, radio and print advertisements.

The plaintiffs contend that Levy "engaged in doctor-patient boundary violations during the course of his patients' treatment," including "an excessive number of unnecessary pelvic exams and engaging in inappropriate physical contact." They say Hopkins was negligent in its oversight of Levy, who practiced at the East Baltimore Medical Center, a community clinic near Hopkins Hospital.

Hopkins has been involved in settlement negotiations and has not admitted any wrongdoing. "Because of the sensitive nature of the allegations, Johns Hopkins believes that attempting to resolve the claims without protracted litigation is in the best interests of those potentially affected by Dr. Levy's conduct and will help to preserve the privacy of our patients," Hopkins officials said in a statement when the negotiations were announced.

Kim Hoppe, director of media relations for Johns Hopkins Medicine, said Friday night, "The ongoing legal process limits our ability to comment, and we remain saddened that a member of our ranks would violate doctor-patient trust."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad