CMW blanks Aberdeen, moves to 4-0 in field hockey

Randy McRoberts

Almost a year ago the C. Milton Wright field hockey team felt the disappointment of losing in the Class 3A state field hockey final.

Thursday, under hot and sticky conditions to start in Aberdeen, the Mustangs brought a 3-0 record into a non-division clash with the Eagles.

With 15:42 left to play in the second half, lightning halted play and the Mustangs won their fourth straight, beating Aberdeen (0-1), 7-0.

“Honestly, I think that loss, that they’re still thinking about from last year is motivating them a lot,” Mustangs coach Kelly Mattingly said. “Like it comes up often, how they want to end differently and how they’re putting in the work to get that end goal again, because they know how to get there.”

The Mustangs, who were pretty much dominant for the 45 plus minutes that were played, scored early. Georgia Beachley scored a penalty stroke goal to get the Mustangs rolling.

A few minutes later, Samantha Aljets went to work with a pair of goals. Aljets collected a rebound and fired a waist-high shot into the back of the cage to make it 2-0.

Shortly thereafter, Aljets added the second goal with a low, hard ground ball shot.

That goal forced Aberdeen head coach Nicole Andriano to call timeout.

Out of the timeout, CMW extended the lead to 4-0 on Natalie Kenney’s unassisted goal. Kenney made another run at the Aberdeen goal a short time later, but Aberdeen goalie Gwyn Steel turned that shot way.

Steel was a bright spot for the Eagles, turning away good shots on an eight-save night. Steel also thwarted a number of CMW scoring chances, clearing the ball away with a kick.

Despite Steel’s play, CMW added two more goals to close the half, up 6-0.

Taylor Marchetti nearly scored, but her shot glanced off the top of the top bar.

Marchetti, though, assisted on the next goal, passing to Carlie Insley, who pushed it past Steel for the 5-0 lead.

Olivia Hennessey tallied the final first half goal, using an assist from Aljets.

The Mustangs added a final goal about 10 minutes into the second half. Marchetti did the honors off the assist from Jordyn Bever.

Despite the advantage of eight corner opportunities, the Mustangs did not score on any of the chances.

CMW goalie Finley Moreland did not field a shot.

Hawks are 3-1

North Harford improved to 3-1 wit an 5-2 non-league win at Maryvale on Thursday.

Ariel Limpert and Ava Schmidt scored two goals apiece to lead the Hawks, while Brooke Ciampaglio netted a single goal.

Lina Goetz, Ciampaglio and Schmidt also had assists for the Hawks.

Emma Radebaug and Emma Buchera scored a goal each for Maryvale.

North Harford, which led 3-1 at the half, played two goalies. Julia Foster and Madison Murdy both had three saves. Maryvale keeper Lizzie Francioli had two saves.

Reach Randy McRoberts on twitter. @aegissports

Copyright © 2018, The Aegis, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad