Three fires damage structures in Aberdeen, Street

Two fires in Aberdeen and one in Street between Friday and Saturday night caused a combined $35,000 worth of damage to three structures and their contents, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said.

No one was injured in any of them.

In Aberdeen, a child playing with a lighter caused a fire in the 300 block of North Post Road, at about 2:41 p.m. on Friday, according to a notice of investigation from the Fire Marshal's Office.

About 35 firefighters from Aberdeen Fire Department, Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department and the Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace needed about 10 minutes to control the fire, which the Fire Marshal's Office said started in a bedroom.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to the structure.

Another fire damaged an apartment property in Aberdeen at about 11 p.m. Saturday, the Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association reported on its Media Facebook page.

The fire hit a "multi-family structure" in the 200 block of South Parke Street, according to the association's post. The Fire Marshal's Office's later notice of investigation described the building as a two-story, wood-frame "single-family dwelling" owned by Clarke Properties.

About 40 firefighters from the Aberdeen Fire Department, Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department and Susquehanna Hose Company responded to the one-alarm fire and controlled it within about 20 minutes, according to the Fire Marshal's Office.

A neighbor saw the fire, which began in the interior wall of a rear porch and was caused by an electrical failure of the service entrance line entering the breaker panel box, according to a notice of investigation by the Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire caused $15,000 worth of damage. Smoke alarms were in the house but it is not known if they were working.

In Street on Saturday, an outdoor fire spread to a property in the 3700 block of Peach Orchard Road and damaged a two-bay garage and a 1985 Susquehanna Skiff boat.

The Fire and EMS Association reported "a well-involved woods fire of [approximately] 2 acres in size with extension into nearby structures" on its Facebook page.

It took 25 firefighters from Darlington, Whiteford, Level, Bel Air and Delta-Cardiff volunteer fire companies about five minutes to control the fire, which was reported at 3:55 p.m.

The blaze caused $10,000 in damage. It was discovered by a passerby and was caused by a "natural cover fire between two single-family dwellings," according to the Fire Marshal's Office follow-up notice of investigation.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad