Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Great Mills High School dismisses early following lockdown

Great Mills High School in Southern Maryland, where a school shooting occurred in March, dismissed students early Wednesday after the school was placed on lockdown due to “reported sightings of a possibly armed individual in the area,” the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office said.

The school was cleared by law enforcement, and dismissal began at 12:45 p.m., “as a result of the disruption caused by the lockdown,” St. Mary’s County Public Schools announced.

The sheriff’s office said the lockdown was a precautionary measure and no threat was posed to the students or neighboring community.

The sheriff’s office identified the armed person as Elijah Miguel Miles, 17, of California, Md., who officials said was wanted in connection to a shooting that happened in the Hickory Hills neighborhood Tuesday.

He was arrested later Wednesday outside of St. Mary’s County, the sheriff’s office announced about 2:30 p.m.

The victim in the Tuesday shooting, who was shot in the back in the 22000 block of Athlone Drive, was airlifted to a hospital, according to the sheriff’s office.

“Miles was also reportedly seen in the area of Great Mills High School, which led to the school being placed on lockdown as a precaution to ensure safety to students and faculty of the school,” the sheriff’s office said Wednesday.

A voice mail message at a phone number listed for Miles' address, in the 22000 block of Athlone Drive, was not immediately returned.

A large number of police responded to the area surrounding the high school, where a student was fatally shot and another was injured by a fellow student who killed himself after being confronted by a school resource officer in March.

Miles was reported to have been seen in the area near the school — not inside the school building, said Cpl. Julie Yingling, a St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.

“Out of an overabundance of caution, we have locked down the school to keep students and faculty safe,” Yingling said.

Great Mills student activists who survived the shooting in March drove 15 hours to Parkland, Fla., this summer to meet with survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting to share their grief, fear, anger and emotional scars, and discuss gun reform measures.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad