For the fourth year in a row, a group of city fifth-graders has outsmarted local celebrities in the Baltimore Curriculum Project's "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader" fundraiser, which was held Thursday night.
The children from City Springs Elementary/Middle School, Hampstead Hill Academy and Wolfe Street Academy outsmarted Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, city schools CEO Gregory Thornton, actress Megan Anderson and state Sen. Bill Ferguson.
Test your knowledge below with some of the questions posed during the quiz show.
1. The short story writer O. Henry frequently uses which of the following literary devices?
2. What color is the hottest star in outer space?
3. What is Pangaea?
a. The Greek god of the woods, fields and fertility.
b. The super-continent whose break up led to today’s continents
c. A sandwich place with free Wi-Fi and fresh baked bread
d. An island in the Pacific Ocean
4. What was the most important kind of boat on the Mississippi River in the 1840’s?
a. A tugboat
b. A steamboat
c. A schooner
d. The Love Boat
5. List these fractions from least to greatest: 4/7, 2/3, 1/2
a. 2/3, 1/2/ 4/7
b. 1/2, 4/7, 2/3
c. 1/2, 2/3, 4/7
d. 4/7, 1/2, 2/3
1. a. Irony
2 c. Blue
3. b. The super-continent whose break up led to today's continents
4. b. A steamboat
5. b. 1/2, 4/7, 2/3