Morgan State reports shooting through campus alert system

A Morgan State University football player was shot outside a dormitory shortly before 1 p.m. Friday, police said.

A “person of interest,” who was not a Morgan student, was taken into custody, police said. Several people police described as witnesses were handcuffed and bags were placed over their hands to preserve possible gunshot residue, police said.

The victim’s injuries were not considered life-threatening, police said. Officers found a semi-automatic handgun nearby, said Baltimore Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

Three dormitories in the Thurgood Marshall complex were cordoned off and a university spokesman said at least one dorm was being evacuated, though Morgan had issued an "all clear" for most of the campus.

"It looks as if grew from a dispute between two individuals and that dispute resulted in one person being shot," said university spokesman Clint Coleman.

Students were rattled by the shooting, which came on the last day of classes before exams.  This is the second campus shooting this semester. In September, a 19-year-old was shot in Morgan's student center while visiting his cousin, a university football player.

"It’s the last day of classes and finals are next week," said sophomore Cavon Caudle, 18.  "It’s hard to focus on what we should be focusing on."

Sophomore Coleman Eldridge said he was in the library when he saw Twitter postings appear about the shooting.

"I’m worried about my life and the safety of my friends, but you have to know you be around and who you hang around and just know a little background about them," said Eldridge, 19.

Khir Henderson,a sophomore electrical engineering major, said he hoped the recent violence would not define Morgan.

"We’re definitely trying to move up as a campus and develop ourselves as a community and hopefully people will think this is not the norm," said Henderson, 21, who lives in a dorm in the complex where the shooting occurred,

Morgan officials and Baltimore Police have planned a 2:45 press conference.

The campus was placed on lockdown for about an hour, but the university has since issued an "all clear" message, with the exception of the area around Blount Towers residence hall.

Baltimore City police confirmed a shooting shortly before 1 p.m. in the 1700 block of E. Cold Spring Lane, which runs directly through campus.


A later message reported "shots fired," and said police had captured one suspect, ordering students to remain in place until further notice. A third message said two other people are being interviewed, and advised people to avoid the south side of campus.

Check back frequently for more information on this breaking news.


Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad