Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

3 correctional officers placed on leave after inmate found inside cell full of steam

3 Maryland prison officers placed on routine leave after an inmate was found dead in a cell filled with steam.

Three correctional officers have been placed on routine administrative leave after an inmate was found dead Friday inside a cell full of steam at the Jessup Correctional Institution, officials said.

The officers will remain on paid leave as the investigation continues, which officials said is routine given the unusual circumstances surrounding the death.

Louis Leysath, 35, who was serving a 30-year sentence for murdering his girlfriend in 2008, was found unresponsive Friday inside his cell, which was full of steam. Leysath was housed alone, officials said, and that there was no fire in the cell.

A spokesman for the state's Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services did not say why or how the cell became full of steam, citing an ongoing investigation.

The medical examiner has not yet completed its autopsy report, corrections officials said, but say foul play is not suspected, and it us unclear whether his death was accidental or a suicide.

They said officers attempted CPR but Leysath was pronounced dead a short time later.

In addition to a death investigation, corrections officials said an administrative review of the incident is being conducted.

"This Department is committed to thorough investigations, and openness in sharing information once we are able to," Secretary of Public Safety & Correctional Services Stephen Moyer said in a statement late Monday. "At this time, many questions remain unanswered, and until they are answered, we simply cannot jeopardize the investigation by discussing it."

The Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services Intelligence and Investigative Division is leading the death investigation.

Corrections officials spoke with the Leysath's family over the weekend. A spokesman said the agency did not release any information on the death until Saturday, after they notified his family.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad