A man convicted in a brutal attack in Canton last year has received a 30-year sentence, with all but 12 years suspended, a state's attorney's office spokeswoman said.
Mustafa Eraibi, 20, of Northeast Baltimore, was charged with attempted first-degree murder in the Jan. 14 attack in the 3400 block of Foster Ave. Police said Eraibi approached the victim, asking for a cigarette, before throwing him to the ground, smashing his head with a landscaping brick, and taking his car and other items.
The victim, Jonathan Fogg, suffered facial fractures, bleeding on the brain and the loss of several teeth, among other injuries. Fogg is an editor for The Baltimore Sun Media Group.
Fogg, 32, said he was disappointed with the 12-year sentence.
"I don't want to see him on the street again. I don't want anyone else to have to go through what I went through," he said.
Eraibi was sentenced on Friday. He also received five years of supervised probation and was ordered to pay $4,000 in restitution, according to State's Attorney's office spokeswoman Rochelle Ritchie.
Police tracked Eraibi through charges made on Fogg's stolen credit card at several 7-Eleven stores. Police pulled his image from surveillance cameras and circulated the picture to officers and the public. A Southeastern District patrol officer later recognized Eraibi around the Highlandtown Market. Police said Eraibi was also wearing the same Cincinnati Reds cap as the man in the surveillance images.
Eraibi's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment Saturday.