Driver, 81, beaten and carjacked, leading to chase

Teens beat and carjacked unlicensed cab driver, 81, because he was "disrespectful" when they wouldn't pay.

An 81-year-old unlicensed taxi driver suffered multiple broken bones in his face after allegedly being beaten by a group of young people who refused to pay and then stole his vehicle, leading to a police chase that ended with a crash, according to court records.

The Jan. 31 incident is outlined in charges against 18-year-old Nataysha Blevins, who was recently indicted on 14 criminal counts, including carjacking, robbery and assault. She is being held on $650,000 bond and is scheduled for a March 25 arraignment.

A witness saw the victim thrown out of his Ford passenger van in the 200 block of Robert Street in Reservoir Hill. He was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center for treatment of injuries including a broken jaw, sinus fracture, left orbital fracture and bleeding on the brain, according to court records.

Hours later, officers operating an unmarked vehicle spotted the van traveling in the 1300 block of Argyle Ave. and began following it, police said. As the van neared Druid Hill Avenue at Martin Luther King Boulevard, marked police units attempted to conduct a car stop, and the driver headed east on Centre Street and onto East Monument Street.

The van drove a mile in the wrong direction along East Madison Street until the occupants jumped out while the vehicle was still moving, police said. It eventually crashed into a city work truck and came to a rest after hitting a tree in the 2100 block of East Madison St., according to police.

Officers said they found Blevins and three others hiding in a nearby block and detained them for questioning. Police say Blevins, who allegedly had the victim's cellphone on her, waived her rights and gave a statement to detectives in which she said she and her friends caught an illegal taxi near a Towson mall.

She said that the group later told the driver that they did not have any money, at which point he "became disrespectful to them," police wrote in charging documents.

An unidentified member of the group began attacking the driver, who got out of the vehicle, Blevins told police.

No attorney for Blevins is listed in court documents.

The three other people denied any involvement in the carjacking. Police wrote that their statements were "corroborative and consistent" about being picked up hours after the carjacking.

The victim could not be reached for comment, but a spokeswoman at Shock Trauma said he has since been discharged.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad