Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Killer gets life plus 240 years, flips off top prosecutor

Reputed gang hitman tells state's attorney: “[Expletive] you, Ms. Mosby” after sentencing

Through two recent murder trials, Darryl Martin Anderson, a reputed gang hit man with a long rap sheet, refused to play the villain.

The 27-year-old sat quietly at the trial table, with a judge later remarking that he was a "perfect gentleman." After his conviction in December, a pre-sentence investigator wrote that he was "pleasant, articulate, and cooperative." Even after being sentenced to life plus 240 years Tuesday, Anderson thanked the judge.

Then, rising to be shackled, he flashed a smile and extended a middle finger toward State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby, seated in the first row behind him.

"[Expletive] you, Ms. Mosby," Anderson said.

The gesture punctuated Anderson's sentencing for killing two women and injuring a third in June 2013 in East Baltimore, which followed his sentencing to life plus 35 years last week in Baltimore County for a separate killing.

In total, Anderson has been sentenced to two consecutive life sentences plus another 275 years.

Anderson maintains his innocence in both crimes, his attorneys say.

Assistant State's Attorney Angela Diehl told Circuit Judge Melissa Phinn that Anderson deserved the maximum sentence. She noted his long rap sheet.

"It is apparent from his 10-year history … it has done nothing to rehabilitate Mr. Anderson," Diehl said.

Anderson was accused of being one of two gunmen summoned to the 3300 block of Elmora Ave. on June 27, 2013, by Tierra Fallin, who had an argument with another woman standing outside a home. Fallin, who believed a woman had said something about the father of two of her children, vowed to return with supporters, and later reappeared with Anderson and another man, prosecutors say. The second man has not been identified.

"Air this bitch out!" Fallin said, according to witnesses. "Do what y'all do!"

Eight people were on the porch; three were struck. Gennie Shird, 20, was killed; Cierra Williams was hit in the head and critically wounded, but has recovered. Michelle Hitchens, 51, was shot in the arm and appeared to have non-life-threatening injuries, but later developed an embolism and died.

"My family is tore apart," Shird's sister told Phinn.

Anderson was named "Public Enemy No. 1" by Baltimore police, and later arrested by U.S. Marshals in Alabama, where he was wearing body armor and had two handguns.

After a joint trial, jurors convicted both Anderson and Fallin, 31, of two counts of second-degree murder, six counts of attempted murder, and murder conspiracy charges.

On Tuesday, Fallin's supporters filled one side of the courtroom, begging Phinn to show her leniency. She had no prior criminal record, and is the mother of four young children. Family members and friends said she was a caring person who made a mistake.

"You're mad about lives taken, and in return, you want hers?" a cousin said to Phinn.

An uncle proposed a "creative" solution: He asked Phinn to sentence Fallin to be an "indentured servant" to the families of her victims for 30 years.

"Make her look them in the eye every day," he said. "We don't have to keep feeding the jail system."

Phinn went a more traditional route, sentencing Fallin to life plus 240 years.

Noting her lack of a record, Phinn nevertheless said Fallin "skipped the frying pan and you went right into the fire" and said her actions were what propelled the argument into bloodshed.

Anderson had no supporters in the courtroom. His attorney, Linda Zeit, said he asked them not to come because his mother had been so upset last week in Baltimore County for the July 2012 murder of Derrick Gamble outside a Parkville bar.

Anderson described a "rough and hard life" at that sentencing, and said he had cut his ties with a gang. He made no such comments at Tuesday's sentencing, leaning back in his chair as the judge read his sentence.

After the hearing, Mosby, the city's top prosecutor, praised the witnesses who stepped forward to testify at the trial.

Asked about Anderson's gesture, Mosby replied: "Justice has been served."


Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad