Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

Man, 31, dies at Baltimore Central Booking after being taken to hospital because of medical concerns

A 31-year-old Morrell Park man died at the Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center last week after initially being taken to a hospital because of medical concerns, the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services said Tuesday.

David Ott, who had been arrested by Baltimore police on a trespassing charge, was found unresponsive in his holding cell just before 11 p.m. Nov. 7, police said. Responding medics pronounced him dead about a half-hour later, according to Gerard Shields, a department spokesman.

Ott was the second inmate to die at Central Booking this year, and at least the third since 2016.

Police initially brought Ott to Central Booking just before noon that day, but then took him to a local hospital due to a “medical condition,” said Shields, who declined to describe the condition, citing medical privacy concerns.

By policy, Central Booking turns away sick or injured suspects, referring them for treatment before they are booked. The police officers who arrested Ott took him away from Central Booking for treatment before he could be medically evaluated there, Shields said.

After receiving medical clearance, Ott was brought back and booked just before 2 p.m., Shields said.

“In its preliminary investigation, the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services Internal Investigative Division found no negligence by department staff,” Shields said in a statement.

No phone number was listed for Ott’s address in the 1700 block of Harman Ave., and no attorney was listed in online court records.

Ott was arrested about 8:45 a.m. for loitering in front of the Royal Farms at 1801 Washington Blvd., despite being banned from the premises, according to police.

“I have responded for numerous calls for service for this individual trespassing and have advised Mr. David Ott that he is banned from the premises and is not to enter them for any reason,” Southern District Patrol Officer John Schreven wrote in the arrest report.

When the wagon arrived at Central Booking, police found Ott sleeping and had difficulty waking him, police said. Officers called for medics, who took Ott to Mercy Medical Center, police said.

“Doctors at Mercy Hospital examined and discharged Mr. Ott who was then returned to Central Booking,” police spokeswoman Chakia Fennoy said in an emailed statement. “Once at Central Booking, the medical staff examined and cleared Mr. Ott to be processed. It is our understanding that Mr. Ott was found deceased in his cell a short time later.”

A spokesman for Mercy Medical Center did not respond Wednesday to a request for comment.

Ott’s death is at least the third at Central Booking since 2016.

In June, Deniro Bellamy, a 31-year-old disabled man who had turned himself in on a traffic violation, collapsed in a holding cell with other inmates and was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Bernice Mitchell, a 53-year-old woman, died at Central Booking in December 2016.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad