Juvenile in custody after leading police on chase in Carroll County that injured deputy

Jon Kelvey
Contact ReporterCarroll County Times

After a high-speed chase Saturday involving an allegedly stolen van, multiple police agencies and a related accident that sent a Carroll County Sheriff’s Office deputy to the hospital, the suspected driver is in custody and the deputy is expected to recover from non-life threatening injuries.

The suspected driver of the van is a 16-year-old male from Baltimore County whose name is being withheld as he is a minor, according to Greg Shipley, public information officer with the Maryland State Police.

“He was charged as a juvenile with a stolen vehicle, theft, and fleeing and eluding as well as driving without a required license,” Shipley said. “He was, at the direction of juvenile services authorities, taken to the Hickey School where he is being held.”

According to a Maryland State Police news release, at around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, a Maryland State trooper attempted to pull over a silver 2012 Toyota Sienna van speeding at 70 mph eastbound on Md. 140 near Market Street.

The driver of the van ignored police and “sped recklessly” east on Md. 140, according to the release, passing other drivers on the shoulder and continuing even after a Carroll County Sheriff’s deputy used stop sticks to deflate the van’s two front tires around Md. 140 and Kays Mill Road. The driver turned and headed south on Md. 91 before stopping the van around Old Gamber Road, leaving the vehicle and attempting to flee along with six other people.

“The investigation indicates that he had driven around Saturday afternoon and had picked up friends in Owings Mills and Westminster. There were five males and two females in the van, ranging in age from 15 to 18,” Shipley said. “They were all taken into custody initially and questioned, and ultimately only the driver was charged.”

No one directly involved in the case was hurt, however, Carroll County Sheriff’s Office Master Deputy Kyle Barget was injured in a crash while driving to the scene to assist state police.

“It appears as though somehow as he was going north on Md. 91, he collided with a vehicle that was stopped in the roadway. It’s still kind of preliminary,” said Sheriff Jim DeWees. “We asked the Maryland State Police crash reconstruction team to come in and handle it, which they are currently doing.”

Barget’s vehicle rolled several times as a result of the collision, DeWees said, and he had to be cut out of the crushed vehicle before being flown to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

“I was able to fly with him down to [Shock Trauma],” DeWees said. “Once he got down to the hospital, there were just an army of doctors and nurses there to assess him and give him treatment.”

Although Barget’s injuries were serious, they were not considered life-threatening and DeWees said Barget is expected to make a full recovery.

“He’ll be down there for several days, and then I anticipate getting him back sometime in the near future and back to duty,” DeWees said.

The driver and occupants of the stopped vehicle were taken to Carroll Hospital as a precaution, according to DeWees, with no serious injuries.

The situation could have been much worse, according to DeWees, which is part of why Barget was traveling to the scene.

“We have no idea why they are running,” DeWees said, regarding the occupants of the van. “We knew the car was stolen, but we didn’t know the circumstances behind stealing it or what they just did prior to the trooper trying to stop them. Once the actual chase ends, there are so many things than can evolve out of something like that that could be potentially dangerous.”




Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad