Booz Allen Hamilton hires former FBI director to review its security measures

Ex-FBI director Robert Mueller is reviewing Booz Allen Hamilton's security practices.

Booz Allen Hamilton, a major intelligence community contractor, said Thursday that it has hired a former FBI director to review its security measures after one of its employees was with charged with stealing reams of classified documents.

Harold T. Martin III, who used to work for the NSA, was arrested in August, accused of a two-decade theft spree and stashing data that could amount to the equivalent of half a billion pages at his Glen Burnie home.

Craig Veith, a spokesman for Booz Allen, said former FBI director Robert Mueller had started a review of its "security, personnel, and management processes and practices" on Oct. 19.

"We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards, take the trust of our clients seriously and are proud to support our country's important national security missions," Veith said in a statement. "We are committed to doing our part to detect potential insider threats, which are complex and constantly evolving."

When Martin's arrest became public in early October, Booz Allen said it had fired him and was cooperating with the FBI. The company said the incident had not affected its relationships with any of its clients. The firms' stock price took a hit nonetheless.

It was the second embarrassing case of a Booz Allen employee being caught up a major incident involving the theft of classified information from the National Security Agency. The company also employed Edward Snowden, who leaked an estimated 1.5 million documents to the media.

Mueller, who now works for law firm Wilmer Hale, conducted the investigation into the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice domestic assault case. Mueller concluded that the league had been insufficiently curious – and the Ravens insufficiently forthcoming – about the attack, which was caught on CCTV.

Martin, whose lawyers say was afflicted by a compulsion to hoard the documents, remains in jail. A judge ruled last week that he was a flight risk and should not be set free while his case moves forward. Martin has appealed the ruling is scheduled back in court for another hearing Friday.

In a federal court filing on Thursday, prosecutors said classified information stolen by Martin included the names of covert intelligence officers.

In arguing that Martin should remain locked up, federal prosecutors said in their filing that a "substantial portion" of the 50 terabytes of digital information seized from Martin at his home was "highly classified."

That information included the names of intelligence officers who operate "under cover outside the United States" and could endanger their lives, the safety of those they work with and could compromise American intelligence operations.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
41°